What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS5 Jailbreak Strategy Guide

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to fatboy's strategy guide for IOS5 Jailbreaking :)
Followers of the jailbreaking scene will know that with the release of the iPad2, closely followed by IOS5, and the iPhone4S, the jailbreaking world has become a lot more challenging and interesting lately.

This post has been updated on 20/01/12 following release of the untethered jailbreak for A5 devices using absinthe!

The current status for jailbreaking 5.0.1 is as follows:

iPad1 Owners
The untethered jailbreak for A4 devices, including iPad1, has been released. Follow our tutorial here to jailbreak your device - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...orial-jailbreak-ipad1-ios5-using-redsn0w.html

iPad2 Owners
The untethered jailbreak for A5 devices, including iPad2, has been released. Follow our tutorial here to jailbreak your device - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...-tutorial-jailbreak-ipad2-5-0-1-absinthe.html

SHSH Blobs for iPad2 devices on 5.x are currently of no use. Whilst you should definitely save them for the future, DO NOT assume they can be used to let you install 5.0.1 whenever you want. At the moment, they cannot! So, update to 5.0.1 whilst the signing window is open and install the jailbreak!

Last edited:

rickyricardo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a question, when does apple stop signing a particular version? I mean how long after an updated version do they stop signing the previous one?

Rushh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Excellent excellent explaination.
I am in the same boat as you, iPad2 3g!!!!

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
That is a fantastic post Leigh, the information is clear and even a thick sod like me can get a grasp of what is occurring.
I've been toying with the idea of moving to iOS 5 but couldn't make my mind up, I've got my blobs and can come back over if I don't like it.........but would I miss Cydia?.........decisions decisions.

Thanks for yet another great thread, I love this site!!

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a question, when does apple stop signing a particular version? I mean how long after an updated version do they stop signing the previous one?

As I said in Step 3 above if you were reading... ;)

3. Before the signing window for 5.0 is closed (usually no more than 48 hours after 5.0.1 is released), install 5.0 on your device. Use the failsafe restore process in this thread to install 5.0 - TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS

It has normally been about 48 hours, but it has run longer in the past (Apple must give the download of 5.0.1 enough time to seed to all customers in the world so that anyone requesting a restore of their device will not be refused)...

The key thing is though, you will get no warning, so speed is of the essence!

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am sticking to jb on 4.3.3 - if there is a jb for 5.0, I think there will be on for later versions.

The reason why there wasno jb for versions later than 4.3.3 is because ios5 was around the corner.

That is my view, I could be 100% wrong. But I am not hedging my jb options.

Pjon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Question Guys,

I'm on a fw 4.3.3 but still not jb, now I saved the SHSHs this is what I got on TU:

5.0b1
5.0b2
5.0b3
5.0b4
5.0b5
5.0b6

I know I cannot go back to 4.3.3. Anyways my Question is when the jb is release for 5.0 can I restore to 5.0 anytime on 4.3.3 etc... with my saved SHSHs stated above ?

Last edited:
OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pjon said:
Question Guys,

I'm on a fw 4.3.3 but still not jb, now I saved the SHSHs this is what I got on TU:

5.0b1
5.0b2
5.0b3
5.0b4
5.0b5
5.0b6

I know I cannot go back to 4.3.3. Anyways my Question is when the jb is release for 5.0 can I restore to 5.0 anytime on 4.3.3 etc... with my saved SHSHs stated above ?

No. 5.x blobs are worthless :(

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ouch !

So should I update to 5.0 and wait for the jb ?

If I was on a jb 5.0 and it crash and need to restore to 5.0 there is no more way even if I saved the SHSHs?

Sorry but Im so lost :(....

You need to make your own decision, but I'd hoped the first post was not that confusing. In your scenario, once you move to 5.0 you are stuck there. If you mess up your jailbreak once it is released you will have to restore to the latest firmware (which will probably be 5.0.1 or newer at the time), and you will likely lose your jailbreak as blobs are worthless for 5.0.

rickyricardo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I said in Step 3 above if you were reading... ;)

It has normally been about 48 hours, but it has run longer in the past (Apple must give the download of 5.0.1 enough time to seed to all customers in the world so that anyone requesting a restore of their device will not be refused)...

The key thing is though, you will get no warning, so speed is of the essence!

Yes I was reading........thank you though. It is a lot of information for a newbie like myself. Reading???????? That's all I've been doing since I got my Ipad 2. Trying to take it all in.

nammi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A really really remarkable and excelent explanation .. A clear guidance for us noobies and not a tech savvy ..

i only have my ipad2 3g for a mere 5 months, and i still intend to make the most of my jb ..

but let us know, fatboy if you eventually decide to "wave" goodbye to your fellow 3g - 4.3.3 .. who knows we might follow your footstep to battle the uncertainty ..

Or .. do we just make the apple "garden" more flourish by buying another ipad and have it ready for whatever may come while we keep the 4.3.3 .. ???? ... < kidding

again, thanks fatboy ..

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ugh, I don't know what to do. I've aired my temptations before because my 4.3.3 is running rough but I can't do a clean restore. That and I'd like to pair it more easily with my iPhone 4S.

But every time you think that way a tweak you take for granted reminds me. Go back to plain Apple multitasking? No adblocking? No iFile?! But if 5.0 was the only way to jailbreak, 4.3.3 might get super rough and archaic.

This sucks.

Pjon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess I will just stay on 4.3.3 even without saved blobs and waiting HOPING to have a better jb on ios5 .

Tnx fatboys/f4780y

Most reactions

Latest posts