What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS updates

Rodney222

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OMG! Beware the update if you use your iPad for work!!! Subtle changes to keynote, photo and pages adds frustration and time to perform what were previously simple tasks. For instance importing a photo into a presentation now requires location services to be on. Why? Seems to drain battery faster. Additionally the crop functions within photo appear to work until you import photos into a slide at which point they are not recognized. Cropping within photo has caused my iPad2 to crash multiple times. Opening the photo app now defaults to the oldest photos first rather than the newest which means unnecessary scrolling depending on how many photos you have. Grrr simple tasks have had steps added to them. Can one revert to ios5?

[Moderator edit: Post has been edited in accordance with forum rules. Thanks.]

Last edited by a moderator:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Did you also update the apps themselves, or just to iOS 5.1?

Try a reset. It should not be required, but I've had to do it before after an update, or suffer an unstable iPad. I don't know what a reset does different than an restart, but sometimes it works where a restart won't.

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

OP
R

Rodney222

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Those are good ideas thanks for the suggestions. Tried them all and they do not remedy the problem. I updated to 5.1 and was prompted to update the apps which I did and sorely regret. Went by the apple store yesterday to seek advice and the staff there said they were not yet familiar with the update and couldn't help. Tried two stores, same response.

The functionality changes have no productivity logic. Why would location need to be activated to import a screen capture into a presentation??? In a 90 minute work session yesterday to build a keynote lecture I lost almost 30% battery simply because location services was constantly on. Either that or waste time toggling back and forth to switch it off and on.

The default within photo to show the oldest photos first rather than the newest, which means scrolling to get to the most recent images. Again, why the change?

Keynote not recognizing cropped images but instead reverting to the original. Surely this is a bug, but then why release the update?

Anyone have any ideas for work arounds or solutions?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The reason for the Location prompt is that many photos contain location data these days. If you follow Apple/Tech news you've probably run into the controversy about privacy, location, and recently location in photos. The prompt is there to remind you that when you let an app use a photo you are also giving it access to any location info embedded in that photo as well.

As for the rest of it, I can't comment. I have not had the time to go through my iWorks apps since the update; but I'll make a note of this thread. If I find anything that I think will help (when I do start playing with them again) I'll let you know.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, looked a bit.

I thought there was something strange about how I was scrolling through Photos more. You are right, but there is nothing that I can see to be done about it.

I had not noticed the need for location services to be on to import media before, but after I turned them off I did get the message that they needed to be turned on. I doubt very much that this is causing battery drain. That would only happen if Keynote was actually using the GPS. It is not. It just needs permissions to access photos, which includes permission to use location data. I usually select what apps I want go be able to use location services, rather than turn it off altogether.

Many apps dealing with photos already needed location permissions before this update, btw.

The loss of cropping from the Photos app is annoying, but I understand why it is happening. The original photo is never cropped. For all practical purposes cropping in in Photos is only a cosmetic change, until you export one any way.

The only recommendation I have is to spend some money (sorry) and get the iPhoto app. You can crop and adjust photos in it, then save them back to the camera roll. Then they will be prepped and cropped for real.

Sorry not to be of more help.

There is an Apple Feedback link where you can offer your suggestions for fixes and such. It wouldn't hurt to use it. I'd guess some of the positive changes we've seen were done at least in part because so many people asked for them.

Apple - iPad - Feedback

Kinoulton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
Just found this thread as a new iPad user having trouble trying to insert cropped photos from camera roll into pages. I've managed to work round the problem by e-mailing a copy of the cropped picture to myself and saving the image. The saved image appears in the camera roll and imports perfectly into Pages.
It's messy and inconvenient but it works.

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
Kinoulton said:
Hi
Just found this thread as a new iPad user having trouble trying to insert cropped photos from camera roll into pages. I've managed to work round the problem by e-mailing a copy of the cropped picture to myself and saving the image. The saved image appears in the camera roll and imports perfectly into Pages.
It's messy and inconvenient but it works.

why you don't insert the original photo and mask it afetrwards? Selecting the photo will show the "menu" were the mask is one item. This is the equivalent to photo cropping in MS-Office products.

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠

Most reactions

Latest posts