What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 7 download size?

TheSagittarius

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello,
I am curious about something. When I upgraded my iPad 4 OTA the download size was about 950MB and when I decided to do upgrade through iTunes the update was about 1.36GB. Anyone has any idea why the size of the update is bigger when you do it via iTunes? :)

Klevis, IT Engineering, Tirana, AL

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The OTA is a delta update which means it only downloads and installs the minimum needed to do the update whereas when you do it through iTunes you get a full fresh install of iOS.

The Archangel

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ISPWs downloaded for iTunes or XCode installs are 100% overwrites of the devices firmware. This removes any room for error.

OTA are differential updates and only address the areas that need to be updated.

Which is why the OTA iOS 7.0.1 update for the iPhone 5C and 5S is only ~19MB where as the ISPW is ~1.4 GB.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ISPWs downloaded for iTunes or XCode installs are 100% overwrites of the devices firmware. This removes any room for error. OTA are differential updates and only address the areas that need to be updated. Which is why the OTA iOS 7.0.1 update for the iPhone 5C and 5S is only ~19MB where as the ISPW is ~1.4 GB.

Yeah.....that was I was trying to say lol!

The Archangel

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's what I get for taking a phone call while typing my response..... Beat by Gabriel1 to the correct answer and a witty retort no less. ;)

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You said it perfectly. I was just being overly detailed as usual. LOL!

OP
TheSagittarius

TheSagittarius

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK. Got it. Thank you very much guys. I think that's another tip for users who are having bugs with their iOS. I found it more useful downloading it through iTunes. :).

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK. Got it. Thank you very much guys. I think that's another tip for users who are having bugs with their iOS. I found it more useful downloading it through iTunes. :).

Actually I do have a secondary observation. One that I can't 100% backup with facts but...

Sometimes they have to run a piece of conversion code on certain data elements used by the OS when installing an upgrade. From my personal experience using iTunes "seems" to do a better job of converting the data. And a lot of people that do do the OTA update and then complain about glitches, tend to be fixed by using iTunes to do a full restore. It isn't concrete evidence but it sure seems like it.

OP
TheSagittarius

TheSagittarius

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually I do have a secondary observation. One that I can't 100% backup with facts but... Sometimes they have to run a piece of conversion code on certain data elements used by the OS when installing an upgrade. From my personal experience using iTunes "seems" to do a better job of converting the data. And a lot of people that do do the OTA update and then complain about glitches, tend to be fixed by using iTunes to do a full restore. It isn't concrete evidence but it sure seems like it.

Yeah, I think so. iTunes seems to do a better job :)

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you install OTA, would you be able to do a redo with iTunes? Would it be wise?

Most reactions

Latest posts