What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airprint help

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since updating to itunes 10.1 final and ios 4.2.1 final, I cannot print via my network. I tried to install manually, I tried to use different "airprint activators" but none of them work. Even my iPad crashes when I try printing from pages.

It worked with itunes 10.1 beta 2 and ios 4.2 beta 3. Is there a way I can permanently use those installs instead of the final versions?
In itunes 10.1 beta 2 there was actually a section where you could enable airprint and it worked.

Any ideas?

OP
Mike_73

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's exactly what I did before.
So my iPad can see the printer, but when I hit print in safari, I don't get a printout, and if I try it in pages, the app actually crashes. :(

Jax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine shows the printer, but asks for a name and password for printer. I have no idea where it gets this. There is no password on printer that I know of.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine shows the printer, but asks for a name and password for printer. I have no idea where it gets this. There is no password on printer that I know of.

The user name/password AirPrint is asking for is actually whatever your login is for the computer the printer is attached to.

I sure hope this isn't Apple's final answer to printing from the iPad. My old Windows 3.1 machine had better printing support than this solution provides.

Jax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem is I don't use passwords on my computers so there is none. I did go to "Printer" and check sharing with out a pass word, thought that would fix it. Still no work.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just enable a guest account on your computer and the password popup will go away.

OP
Mike_73

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem is I don't use passwords on my computers so there is none. I did go to "Printer" and check sharing with out a pass word, thought that would fix it. Still no work.

I had this, too, while I ran all beta versions of iTunes and iOs 4.x.
Just enter the computer name (the name of your main data folder in windows) and leave the password empty. That's what I did.

But ever since I upgraded to the final versions, I can see and select my printer on the iPad, but I cannot print anything. Well, iPad tells me it's done, but my printer doesn't print. :(

Towmoter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a little different problem with Air Print and cannot find the answer. Prior to Air Print I installed a App called Print Magic. It recognized my printer right away but with Air Print it does not recognize the printer. Anyone have a solution?

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so you're saying that you enabled AirPrint and not print magic can't find the printer? Or just since the upgrade Printmagic can't find the printer?

Towmoter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so you're saying that you enabled AirPrint and not print magic can't find the printer? Or just since the upgrade Printmagic can't find the printer?
I bought a App called Print Magic. It is a useless App that only prints from it's own program so it is useless for printing from the Ipad. I put it on about 2 months before my upgrade to 4.2. The Print Magic picked up the printer which is a HP Officejet 6500 right away. The Air Print does not recognize the printer. Since the Print Magic is still on my Ipad, it can still access the printer but Ipad shows no printer. The printer is on the Apple accepted list.

Most reactions

Latest posts