What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS 6 Update Question About GPS & Maps?

wvkawboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have NOT updated to the new IOS6 because I have some concerns. I've got the new iPad 3 4g model but have no 4g plan. I understand that the google maps with my model work as a gps even with no cell service or wifi connection. But, if I do update to ios6, I understand I could only use google maps going through Safari but if I did that, wouldn't I need cell service plan or at least constant wifi connection? Is there ever going to be a google map app for ios6 that will work like now without cell or wifi connection?

Will the Apple Maps App allow the GPS function without service plan or wifi connection on the IOS6 like the Google Maps did on the ios5?

On a side note... Will there be a YouTube App for the IOS6?

I am really unsure whether to do this update or not. :confused:

Angemar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am on iPad 2. Did the update and Maps stopped working. Don't do it. I'll have to restore previous version if they don't fix it today

G

Grytpype

Well done for not updating to iOS 6 !! You'll lose Google Maps if you do, and there'll be no way to get it back – you'll be stuck with the POS Apple version.

Don't fall for the tricks Apple will use to get you to do the iOS update – the new iTunes will initiate the update by the back door, so don't update that either. Also, an update badge in the "Settings" app will try to get you to do the update. Ignore it!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This screenshot shows the LandTrackerPro app, with the new iOS6 maps. It's not too bad.

image-1772475144.jpg

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To use the Web you need a cellular plan. With Google maps you can cache maps to local storage (at you can on android) so you can use those wiwithout any plan if you have gps.

G

Grytpype

To answer the point about GPS without a service plan, take a look at the MotionX GPS HD app. With that, you can download Bing maps for offline use, so you can use them even when you have no WiFi or cell coverage. You can download as many tiles as you like free, limited only by how much space you have on your device.

OP
W

wvkawboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well done for not updating to iOS 6 !! You'll lose Google Maps if you do, and there'll be no way to get it back – you'll be stuck with the POS Apple version.

Don't fall for the tricks Apple will use to get you to do the iOS update – the new iTunes will initiate the update by the back door, so don't update that either. Also, an update badge in the "Settings" app will try to get you to do the update. Ignore it!

I haven't been on iTunes for a while, will iTunes automatically update when I open it again or does it give me the option to or not to?

OP
W

wvkawboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To answer the point about GPS without a service plan, take a look at the MotionX GPS HD app. With that, you can download Bing maps for offline use, so you can use them even when you have no WiFi or cell coverage. You can download as many tiles as you like free, limited only by how much space you have on your device.

That sounds interesting.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
wvkawboy said:
I haven't been on iTunes for a while, will iTunes automatically update when I open it again or does it give me the option to or not to?

iTunes will not automatically update. You need to initiate that yourself, and even if you do so, it will not force you to download ios6. It will just bug you each time you open it.

OP
W

wvkawboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To use the Web you need a cellular plan. With Google maps you can cache maps to local storage (at you can on android) so you can use those wiwithout any plan if you have gps.

Yep, but my problem is that IF I update, then Google maps will no longer work.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
wvkawboy said:
Yep, but my problem is that IF I update, then Google maps will no longer work.

That's right, but the choice is yours. iTunes cannot force you to update, and neither can your iPad. It will stay on its present version until you choose to update. Maps will improve over time, and ios6 won't go away. You have all the time you want to make your decision. Of course, having made the decision to update, there's no going back.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I may be completely wrong, but here is how I understand it... If you have an iPad without 4G you only get location data from your wireless connection location, if you have 4G you have the GPS and can get the GPS information at all times, what this means, if it is true (I have a 4G model so cannot verify the difference) is that if you have some type of mapping program that can use the GPS you will know on a map where you are without wireless or data service and if you have software that will record the GPS input you can track your movements and overlay them into Google maps or some other mapping software when you come back into data range - if you have the 4G but without the 4G you need to be in constant wireless connection to get location information so you can use it for things like aroundme, yelp or other programs that can use your location for something.

Please let me know if the difference is how I understand it.

Most reactions

Latest posts