What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad mini, GPS,offline maps question.

Pusscat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
Hope to get an ipad mini 3 when it come out. I understand the wifi version doesn't have GPS chip and I'll hopefully be using an offline map application (maps me?)...so looks like I'll have to get a cellular version and not get a data plan.

My question is, can I still use the GPS aspect in the cell card circuit without having to have a data sim inserted to the ipad? Can't afford a data plan and very likely to be in areas with no wifi so can't rely on the wifi location service.
Any help gratefully received.,
Pusscat

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,
Hope to get an ipad mini 3 when it come out. I understand the wifi version doesn't have GPS chip and I'll hopefully be using an offline map application (maps me?)...so looks like I'll have to get a cellular version and not get a data plan.

My question is, can I still use the GPS aspect in the cell card circuit without having to have a data sim inserted to the ipad? Can't afford a data plan and very likely to be in areas with no wifi so can't rely on the wifi location service.
Any help gratefully received.,
Pusscat
You can use a cellular iPad on WiFi and GPS without a cellular data plan or even without a SIM card in the holder.

OP
P

Pusscat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Scifan,
Many thanks for the confirmation,
regards Pusscat

Most reactions

Latest posts