What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ios 6 issues

johnml

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anybody had any luck using FaceTime over 3G 4G? Whenever I try to connect I get a pop up that tells me to either connect to 3G or WIFI even though I'm already connected.

ericwalker425

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ill let you know i'm still trying to download the 1.11 gb update on my slow 6gb wifi

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It appears that the carriers are refusing to allow Facetime over 3/4G without getting a new plan.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Seadog said:
It appears that the carriers are refusing to allow Facetime over 3/4G without getting a new plan.

Personally, I think it's none of the carrier's business how I use my data allowance. Charging extra for FaceTime over 3G/4G is nothing more than a cash grab by the cellphone companies.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
Personally, I think it's none of the carrier's business how I use my data allowance. Charging extra for FaceTime over 3G/4G is nothing more than a cash grab by the cellphone companies.

I think you should be OK with SaskTel, though. They just have a plan, and it's up to you how you use it, right? And I think it's somewhat more generous than Telus.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Bluray

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Agree 100% with you on charging extra, I don't think this is an issue with all the networks from around the world though as with my provider in SA I can do FaceTime over 3G.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
I think you should be OK with SaskTel, though. They just have a plan, and it's up to you how you use it, right? And I think it's somewhat more generous than Telus.

I have an unlimited data plan, but I've not asked them what their policy about FaceTime over 3G is.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I agree with it being no business of the carriers, they are trying to manage their overworked data systems. This is just one of the many ways that they are trying to lure customers away from the old unlimited plans.

OP
J

johnml

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anybody have any luck with FaceTime over 3/4G? I have friends with the new iPhone and FaceTime works. It does not work over my grandfathered unlimited plan with AT&T. Before the ios6 update it wouldn't even let me access my contacts list while on 4G, now it does and lets me choose somebody, but no ring?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
johnml said:
Anybody have any luck with FaceTime over 3/4G? I have friends with the new iPhone and FaceTime works. It does not work over my grandfathered unlimited plan with AT&T. Before the ios6 update it wouldn't even let me access my contacts list while on 4G, now it does and lets me choose somebody, but no ring?

I just had a FaceTime conversation with a friend earlier this morning. My plan doesn't charge extra for FaceTime over cellular systems. AT&T has announced that they will be charging customers a fee to use FaceTime over 3G/4G. If you haven't signed up with your carrier to allow Facebook, you won't be able to use it.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
scifan57 said:
I just had a FaceTime conversation with a friend earlier this morning. My plan doesn't charge extra for FaceTime over cellular systems. AT&T has announced that they will be charging customers a fee to use FaceTime over 3G/4G. If you haven't signed up with your carrier to allow Facebook, you won't be able to use it.

"The point is ladies and gentlemen that greed, for lack of a better word, is good." Gordon Gekko

AA

Most reactions

Latest posts