What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 5 Is Finally Here!

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had a lot of problems too, every time I was almost finished with the download I got Internet error or backup error, finally 3 hours later my phone was done. My iPad was even worse. I hope the next update is smooth.

thalenoi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jlj084 said:
Help! I keep getting an error msg that the network timed out but it showed a full download then the stupid error msg popped up. It's been happening for the past 2 days and I've tried it several times. Download times have varied from a couple hours to 8
minutes with the same results.

I had the same, shut down my Internet security (Kaspersky IS)
Was Hefty process to upgrade, then ran into problems during restore, probably due to 5k pics.
finally managed to initialize fresh setup and ran sync with iTunes afterwards
A pain in the butt the upgrade, but ios5 is nice.

Alexzap68

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my IPad for work and can't risk losing data in apps (eg readdledocs and meeting pad). After reading all these problems, I don't think I'll risk trying to update to IOS5. it's obviously a beta product. Maybe in 6 months I'll try

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use my IPad for work and can't risk losing data in apps (eg readdledocs and meeting pad). After reading all these problems, I don't think I'll risk trying to update to IOS5. it's obviously a beta product. Maybe in 6 months I'll try

Just ensure you have a good backup before the process. You can also manually back up the documents in your apps as an extra safeguard and peace of mind. I upgraded fine and didn't lose a thing.

ROYL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
adavis said:
Have 2 iPads on different accounts and update worked fine on both. First one took 2 hrs. And the second about 30 min less. No errors at all.

You are success to update, but how is your file inside, it still inside or missing

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not impressed. I am convinced more than ever iPad is a toy not a tool.

3 hours yesterday, two failed updates due to server connection errors. But iTunes said it had downloaded os successfully so wtf?

Today took 4 hours!, finally updated os but iTunes didn't back up the settings, apps and contents. Thank God I still do all the serious work on my laptop.

Surely even the most ardent Applephile must regret iTunes. I bloody hate the thing.

Rhein

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ian russell said:
Not impressed. I am convinced more than ever iPad is a toy not a tool.

3 hours yesterday, two failed updates due to server connection errors. But iTunes said it had downloaded os successfully so wtf?

Today took 4 hours!, finally updated os but iTunes didn't back up the settings, apps and contents. Thank God I still do all the serious work on my laptop.

Surely even the most ardent Applephile must regret iTunes. I bloody hate the thing.

I totally agree, and I was also very excited about ios 5... Not quite sure what I actually was expecting from it but I know it has not measured up at all... After about 6 months of trying to convince myself otherwise I have decided my iPad IS a toy and was VERY annoyed to see they have dropped the LYRICS capabilities in the iPod replacement, Music... The system is just a side-step, nothing more, nothing exciting about it... None of my friends are on iOS 5 yet either, so NOT EVEN iMessage is useful to me....

Sent from my iPad using iPF

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I updated my ipad2 the day ios5 was released and had the issues of server overload like everybody else that evening. Today, I just updated my ipod touch 4th generation. I was lucky to read one of Twerppoet's recommendations of backing up transfers first, selecting the "download," but not the "download and update," since it would take longer. He also made the recommendation of transferring and backing up documents in the event of possible loss-by emailing it to yourself etc. Since following his recommendations-it only took an hour to update the ipod-nothing was lost. All apps are working. Now, I am going to try my hand at wifi syncing when I get a chance. Hope that whoever is still having frustrations, have faith that it will work. Good luck. :eek:

Rhein

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
I updated my ipad2 the day ios5 was released and had the issues of server overload like everybody else that evening. Today, I just updated my ipod touch 4th generation. I was lucky to read one of Twerppoet's recommendations of backing up transfers first, selecting the "download," but not the "download and update," since it would take longer. He also made the recommendation of transferring and backing up documents in the event of possible loss-by emailing it to yourself etc. Since following his recommendations-it only took an hour to update the ipod-nothing was lost. All apps are working. Now, I am going to try my hand at wifi syncing when I get a chance. Hope that whoever is still having frustrations, have faith that it will work. Good luck. :eek:

I did the same thing well over 16 times before I eventually downloaded the ipsw file manually, the downgraded iTunes to 10.4 and ran the 'manual update' from it... It obviously put my ad into recovery mode from which 10.4 could not revive, then updated back to iTunes 10.5 and completed the upgrade to ios 5... Thanks to the backups of apps, I literally only lost a few cookies!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rhein-sounds like you had quite the work to do just getting the update. I think I would have been less ambitious and would have waited a while before attempting to do what you did. I realize that was one of the options to do, but I think I would have been too nervous that I would of done something wrong!

manuelin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iluvmyipad said:
I had a lot of problems too, every time I was almost finished with the download I got Internet error or backup error, finally 3 hours later my phone was done. My iPad was even worse. I hope the next update is smooth.

I need help to update my iPad to iOS 5.

My iPad 2 is jailbreak, wifi and the software version is 4.3.4. I have the latest iTunes version 10.5

When I connect the iPad, iTunes does not prompt me that an update is available. If I click Check for Update under the Version section iTunes just tell me that my iPad already has the latest version 4.3.4

I've just tried to sync the iPad and there are three apps that do not sync (pages, numbers and keynote) and the message that appears says that those apps are not compatible with my iPad because it needs a more recent software version.

I've tried all sort of things with no success and I don't know what to do... Any suggestions?

Rhein

iPF Noob
Reaction score
manuelin said:
I need help to update my iPad to iOS 5.

My iPad 2 is jailbreak, wifi and the software version is 4.3.4. I have the latest iTunes version 10.5

When I connect the iPad, iTunes does not prompt me that an update is available. If I click Check for Update under the Version section iTunes just tell me that my iPad already has the latest version 4.3.4

I've just tried to sync the iPad and there are three apps that do not sync (pages, numbers and keynote) and the message that appears says that those apps are not compatible with my iPad because it needs a more recent software version.

I've tried all sort of things with no success and I don't know what to do... Any suggestions?

Hey Manuelin, if you like your iPad jail-broken, stick to 4.3.4, there is no proper solution to jailbreak iOS 5 or even 4.3.5 for that matter? If you are desperate to upgrade, I'd download the Ispw from Apple and do a manual update... You will lose EVERYTHING, including your contacts this route though hey... Back your device up first then you are all good... Hmm, I must be honest, I also lost stored passwords, so make sure you know them all too ;-)

Most reactions

Latest posts