What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 5 Is Finally Here!

mgoedeke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had to recently get a new laptop, as previous one crashed. Ipad2 has not been backed up on there....I'm nrevous to do it, and lose my apps, music and most importantly, my contacts! If I backup, then upgrade, will I lose my info??

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
06Honda said:
With all the talk and ads about IOS5 allowing you to be PC free, I upgraded. Only problem I still have to go to ITUNES to download any apps over 20mb- (pc free) not what I was expecting as this is the main reason I upgraded.

Can download apps hundreds of mbs in size over wifi without any issue. No need for iTunes.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
With all the talk and ads about IOS5 allowing you to be PC free, I upgraded. Only problem I still have to go to ITUNES to download any apps over 20mb- (pc free) not what I was expecting as this is the main reason I upgraded.

I take it you're talking about when you're using cellular instead of wi-fi, since iTunes doesn't care how big a file is when you're connected via wi-fi.

If so, you're set-up incorrectly - on your iPad go into General Settings/Store and select "Use Cellular Data" if you want to make large downloads while away from wi-fi. The default is "off" so that people don't use up all their data limit by accident.

Joyceski38

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also updated as others and it took all eve, when done lost many apps plus info. Not happy:(. But wait and see

ManicDreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I updated a week ago now, which was a nerve wracking experience as I'm pretty new to iPad and iTunes.
All seemed to go quite well and didn't take too long, but after backing up, installing OS and reinstalling my apps, I still don't have any of the music I purchased through iTunes!
Music copied onto my iPad from my laptop (copies of personal CDs) is all there, but not purchased tunes....

Also, why is there no location based reminders on the iPad version??

Any help appreciated.

06Honda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I take it you're talking about when you're using cellular instead of wi-fi, since iTunes doesn't care how big a file is when you're connected via wi-fi.

If so, you're set-up incorrectly - on your iPad go into General Settings/Store and select "Use Cellular Data" if you want to make large downloads while away from wi-fi. The default is "off" so that people don't use up all their data limit by accident.

Awesome, did not know that. Yes I was referring to 3G, thankyou both for your replies.

Tyson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ManicDreamer said:
I updated a week ago now, which was a nerve wracking experience as I'm pretty new to iPad and iTunes.
All seemed to go quite well and didn't take too long, but after backing up, installing OS and reinstalling my apps, I still don't have any of the music I purchased through iTunes!
Music copied onto my iPad from my laptop (copies of personal CDs) is all there, but not purchased tunes....

Also, why is there no location based reminders on the iPad version??

Any help appreciated.

The update is really cool but i wish someone would help with the music issue.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ive been using this thread but the title is so long i cant remember all of it "Anybody else wondering why the ..."

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

ManicDreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tyson said:
The update is really cool but i wish someone would help with the music issue.

Hi Tyson

Just thought I'd let you know that my iTunes music appeared today!
I set my iPad to back up all material with iCloud and the next day when I checked iTunes it showed all my music as available to download from iCloud. It took a while, but now I'm whole again.
Hope you get yours back too.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And if you get greyed out songs just delete all songs from iPad until empty(real important by the way) and resynch songs back into iPad.

Tyson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ManicDreamer said:
Hi Tyson

Just thought I'd let you know that my iTunes music appeared today!
I set my iPad to back up all material with iCloud and the next day when I checked iTunes it showed all my music as available to download from iCloud. It took a while, but now I'm whole again.
Hope you get yours back too.

Good to hear that you fixed you issue, I am not sure why some songs work and others don't.

jef2012

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got ios 5

Works great
Want to know , previous ios only let you load app directly on ipad smaller than 12mb
With the capability to update new ios , does that mean we can now update / purchace directly to ipad bigger than 20mb

Hope to have answer soon

Johan ferreira

Singerxen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jef2012 said:
Got ios 5

Works great
Want to know , previous ios only let you load app directly on ipad smaller than 12mb
With the capability to update new ios , does that mean we can now update / purchace directly to ipad bigger than 20mb

Hope to have answer soon

Johan ferreira

Johan, yes you can. I downloaded a 1gb app earlier today on my ipad2

Ben

TonyS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry is it me but when iOS 5 was announced that this would be the up grade that allowed you to go wireless then how is it that you need to connect to a power cable to allow iTunes syncs. And as for the cloud and your calendar and contacts what a mess that has created, if you like duplicates then go ahead. If there is a way round this then please can someone let me know.

Most reactions

Latest posts