What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 5.1 update and wifi connectivity

alexm1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
In case you did not know, the biggest drain on the battery is the screen brightness. If you have it on full even a brand new iPad won't get anywhere near the advertised 9-10 hours. When indoors 1/3 screen brightness looks pretty good, and will almost double your battery ife.

Thanks, obvious when you think about it but I had not, great suggestion!

larjan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using Verizon mifi 4G I have tried many times during day and evening to update and all I get is "An error occured while checking for software update". I am using ipad to update. Won't have access to my computer until I get home in a few weeks. I have updated before even the 5.0 update using the mifi with no problems. Any suggestions?

ianpetrie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
since upgrading to 5.1 via wifi my iPad and iPad 2 have problems,
slow surfing, video does not work, YouTube plus other sites.
how can I uninstall 5.1 and reinstall iOS 5 or sort the problem.
I have tried, reboot router, hard shutdown,reboot iPads, deleted iCloud.

Quizzer2093

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
diigtal-nexxus.ca
Updated to ios 5.1, been running it for about a week and have noticed significant battery improvement, and wifi connectivity for me. I had to reboot the iPad 2, slow very unresponsive but the reboot fixed that

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quizzer2093 said:
Updated to ios 5.1, been running it for about a week and have noticed significant battery improvement, and wifi connectivity for me. I had to reboot the iPad 2, slow very unresponsive but the reboot fixed that

absolutely ditto but no reboot needed on either iphon4 or ipad2 (wifi only) here :).

from posts made i was wondering if connection issues are affects more on ipads with gprs?

when i upgraded i read the messages, one stated 'fixed bug in address book that reduced battery life'. would seem Apple are aware of previous battery problems?

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
absolutely ditto but no reboot needed on either iphon4 or ipad2 (wifi only) here :).

from posts made i was wondering if connection issues are affects more on ipads with gprs?

when i upgraded i read the messages, one stated 'fixed bug in address book that reduced battery life'. would seem Apple are aware of previous battery problems?

Apple has been trying to fix battery probs since iOS 5, with mixed results. From what I've read, battery probs are hard to solve, because users have different combos of variables. Location services was a culprit for some.

I have 3G on my iPads 1 and 2 and haven't had battery probs on iOS 5, 5.0.1 or 5.1.

If there were a GPS-related prob, it probably would be more widespread, because every iPhone has 3G/GPS.

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There must be some variables at work that are creating iOS 5.1 probs for some and not others. My iPad 1 and 2, and iPhone 4S, have been working fine since I upgraded to iOS 5.1.

On iPad 1 and 2, things have actually been better than fine, because I've barely had any RAM-related crashes on either iPad, which I was frequently having on iOS 5.0.1 and 5. For me, this upgrade has been a big improvement.

Same here . We have all three versions of the iPads with no issues and our 2 iPhones have been upgraded to 5.1 and operate well. This has been a great update .

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same here . We have all three versions of the iPads with no issues and our 2 iPhones have been upgraded to 5.1 and operate well. This has been a great update .

Yes. Between my husband and me, we upgraded six iDevices OTA, and all are working without probs that others have posted about.

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Apple has been trying to fix battery probs since iOS 5, with mixed results. From what I've read, battery probs are hard to solve, because users have different combos of variables. Location services was a culprit for some.

I have 3G on my iPads 1 and 2 and haven't had battery probs on iOS 5, 5.0.1 or 5.1.

If there were a GPS-related prob, it probably would be more widespread, because every iPhone has 3G/GPS.

the tend i agree with your logic, but as a trained and experienced field service engineer dealing with the GP on a day to day basis, my guess is the way devices are used by the individual will take its toll.

my experience tells me to find then work from a common denominator, just seem many are mentioning the ip3, perhaps t is because it is new, also 5.1 was released very close to it, which just adds to the confusion as to what really causes the problem.

personally i think Apple rushed this ip3 out before it's cover was completely blown, knowing updates will be developed to overcome any ip3 issues.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the tend i agree with your logic, but as a trained and experienced field service engineer dealing with the GP on a day to day basis, my guess is the way devices are used by the individual will take its toll.

my experience tells me to find then work from a common denominator, just seem many are mentioning the ip3, perhaps t is because it is new, also 5.1 was released very close to it, which just adds to the confusion as to what really causes the problem.

personally i think Apple rushed this ip3 out before it's cover was completely blown, knowing updates will be developed to overcome any ip3 issues.

Don't know. Would've thought if there were a reasonably easy pattern that Apple would've figured it out by now, because they have serial numbers and should be reasonably able to break down complaints among models. The wifi complaints on iOS 5.1 predate the release of the new iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Don't know. Would've thought if there were a reasonably easy pattern that Apple would've figured it out by now, because they have serial numbers and should be reasonably able to break down complaints among models. The wifi complaints on iOS 5.1 predate the release of the new iPad.

Predates it so much that it was a complaint with original iPad, and has resurfaced as a complaint with every update since. It is nothing new, and it appears to be a reoccurring theme that a certain percentage of people have problems after an update. Most seem to resolve it after a bit, or stop talking about it at any rate. I don't think anyone has done a serious poll or research on it since the iPad 1.

Battery life complaints also get a refresh every update, though there was a stronger than usual peak with the 5.0 update; enough that Apple admitted to there being a problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts