What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS 6 wifi connectivity article.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Exposing Apple, iOS 6 WiFi Problems, & The IPv6 Protocol

An interesting discussion about why there are some problems with wifi connectivity. Essentially says the new iOS 6 for iPad 2 requires an updated router protocol. Older routers won't work unless updated (if available).

This is a very interesting article. Thanks for posting it! Ipv6!!!!

So, according to this article, people having problems either need to update the firmware on their router, and if that doesn't work they need to buy a recently made router that fully supports IPv6. On iOS 6, apple requires authentication before letting you on a wireless network if you have a 4s, iPad 2 and 2, and an iPhone 5.

If true, this implies that apples deserves some measure of fault. I tend to keep my firmware upto date and also don't use older equipment.

One thing though. My dad had a old links us router and I'm sure it hasn't been updated in forever, but my iOS 6 iPad 3 is on his router right now. But perhaps apple knows I have a authentic iPad 3 already. Hmm....

Last edited:

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a very interesting article. Thanks for posting it! Ipv6!!!!

So, according to this article, people having problems either need to update the firmware on their router, and if that doesn't work they need to buy a recently made router that fully supports IPv6. On iOS 6, apple requires authentication before letting you on a wireless network if you have a 4s, iPad 2 and 2, and an iPhone 5.

If true, this implies that apples deserves some measure of fault. I tend to keep my firmware upto date and also don't use older equipment.

One thing though. My dad had a old links us router and I'm sure it hasn't been updated in forever, but my iOS 6 iPad 3 is on his router right now. But perhaps apple knows I have a authentic iPad 3 already. Hmm....

It's not true. The person who wrote that knows nothing about how TCP/IP networking and 802.11a/b/g/n networks actually work. You have to be on the network before communications can happen for one thing. And dear lord, the amount of bad info about IPv6 in general is just sad.

This a valid v6 address ::1 (which is the v6 version of 127.0.0.1), the address that article claims is a v6 address isn't valid in any Internet Protocol addressing standard.

Also, I have a closed network in my home that only allows wireless clients using a VPN connection to a specific host to access the Internet, if that authentication token stuff was remotely true I'd have never been able to get my device working on my network :)

ThaSatelliteGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well can you please tell me how you did it before I throw this pos out in traffic! I install satellite internet and must connect to a router BEFORE there is internet service. I can't get into my router, my modem or anything. It connects, pulls numbers, brings up a page I didn't ask for telling me it can't connect, and boots me from the network. I used to have a on/off switch in my wireless networking that said something about auto login. That used to solve the problem, but now it's no where to be found. And no, not auto join... AUTO LOGIN. Its gone, and so is my ability to do anything useful with my $600... Um I guess pandora radio.

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could have sworn I had already replied to this.

To answer your question though, I didn't do anything special, at least not on the iPad itself (with a minor exception noted below). I use a wireless AP that firewalls off from my Internet connection completely. The only connections permitted are to the IPSEC/PPTP/L2TP hosts on the internal network which then route traffic to and from the Internet at large.

However, based on another post I saw of yours, try resetting your network settings on your device of you haven't tried that yet. I had the same problem with my iPad right after updating to iOS 6 and that was all it took to fix it :)

ThaSatelliteGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple's "Server Problem"...

Ok, so they say it was a missing webpage on Apple's server. This STILL SCREWS ME! I have to use my pad on a network WITHOUT INTERNET! Is there a way to turn this "hotspot verification" crap off?? I cannot find any reference to it anywhere. Everyone just says "yay the page is back up". WTF? My pad HAS to talk to apple to accept a network connection??

Am I really the only one that has a fundamental problem with this???

Most reactions

Latest posts