What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 5.1 update and wifi connectivity

jelizp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having trouble with my wifi connection since updating my IPad to iOS 5.1 causing my connection to be weak or lost completely. Is anyone else having this problem? Any clues as to how to fix this problem?

timtruro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I upgraded this morning, been using it all day, no difference in wireless connectivity. And I am in Aruba!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just the usual.

Restart your router and iPad. While the router is down forget the network (Reset Network Settings under Settings > General > Reset), then join it again after it is up.

If that does not work, a reset might be worth trying..

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

maleaco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same, no problems here, can you give any more specifics?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No prob after upgrading iPad 1 and 2, iPhone 4S and touch 4.

Try resetting your router.

Quicksilver71

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am having the exact same problem. I have given it up and am using 3G even though the wifi is fine on my laptop and my iPhone. And yes, I do have the new 5.1 on both the iphone and the ipad. Only the ipad has this problem though

mansai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also having issues straight after updating. Have reset router and iPad and it did connect but it drops out a lot more often

AceJr311

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DEFINITELY an issue with IOS 5.1 and iPad2 wifi connectivity. Wifi disconnects all the time when not using ipad. Go to use it again and YEP only 3G is connected and have to go through the manual reconnecting to the network. SERIOUS PAIN IN DA A$$ and absolutely is an issue with the 5.1 update. Have five ipad2's in my household and every one of them are displaying exact same behavior except for ONE. THat one unit is still at 5.01 IOS and wasnt upgraded as its my 6 year olds since she had it in her room watching cartoons when I updated all the others.

Needless to say, will not be updating hers until new update!! Rest of us get defaulted to our 3G connections constantly and have to manually reconnect after periods of inactivity.

Have iPad 3 being delivered by FedEx on March 16 and would suck if the same issue exists the first day of use!!!

Hopefully Apple knows of this issue!

dtm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same issue

Ipad 1 updated earlier today w no problem. Now has jittery online performance. Speed test shows 10+Mb speed. Rebooted iPad. No improvement. ALL web content including news site apps crawl. I think there is something amiss w the OS.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There must be some variables at work that are creating iOS 5.1 probs for some and not others. My iPad 1 and 2, and iPhone 4S, have been working fine since I upgraded to iOS 5.1.

On iPad 1 and 2, things have actually been better than fine, because I've barely had any RAM-related crashes on either iPad, which I was frequently having on iOS 5.0.1 and 5. For me, this upgrade has been a big improvement.

iain1970

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I installed on my MK1 iPad purley because it said battery life had been improved. To be honest, I've not noticed much difference. I've had Safari crash out a few times but no more than the original iOS5 upgrade brought about.

It'd be nice if there was a way of removing all the crap for the iPad 2 that can't be used on the 1 to make it a bit more streamlined. The battery life thing sucks arse though. How I remember the days of it lasting nearly a week rather than a handful of hours.

gfraiso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Purchased an IPAD 2 last week. Received the IOS upgrade on Friday. Since then I can only connect to the Itunes store one out of three attempts. Customer experience to date with this product suggests that my relationship with Apple is at an end.

pommie82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I upgraded my iPad 1st generation 64gb the other day and its the worse thing i have done now.
Since the update i cannot Stream Over WI-Fi no films or Tv Series from my western digital My book live
I have over 1000gb worth of films & Tv Series on my Western Digital Drive which i watch everyday and
now iam unable to watch any of it i also tried to restore it a previous back up all i get is 5.1 software it
was working fine on 5.0.1 i won't be upgrading to the latest software next time once bitten twice shy

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I installed on my MK1 iPad purley because it said battery life had been improved.

In case you did not know, the biggest drain on the battery is the screen brightness. If you have it on full even a brand new iPad won't get anywhere near the advertised 9-10 hours. When indoors 1/3 screen brightness looks pretty good, and will almost double your battery ife.

Most reactions

Latest posts