What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple has Massive Plans for MobileMe Revamp

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
mobile-me.JPG

We’ve already heard from The Wall Street Journal this week that Apple is planning to completely revamp MobileMe and make it a free service, but now Cult of Mac is reporting that Apple has major plans for MobileMe that go far beyond a simple makeover. According to their exclusive story today, Apple is actually planning a major overhaul of the service, not just a revamp, with some big, and possibly very exciting, changes, most of which involve the cloud.

According to Cult of Mac, Apple is currently looking at adding a Ustream-type live video-streaming service, a location-based check-in feature such as Foursquare or Gowalla, and a geo-tagging service, which Cult of Mac says is codenamed “Tokensâ€, that is similar to Facebook Places in the way in which it tags real locations.

Cult of Mac’s anonymous source tells them that Apple is currently very keen on developing streaming data services and location-based services, which possibly backs up Cult of Mac’s earlier reports of a streaming-only iPhone. According to the source, Apple is planning to turn MobileMe into the user’s own personal dynamic website that revolves around where they are and what they’re doing at any given time.

“Apple thinks of it as having a webserver in your pocket… everything will be dynamically updated to MobileMe,†said the source.

Source: More Detail On Apple’s Plans For MobileMe: Think FaceBook, Foursquare & uStream [Exclusive] | Cult of Mac

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yup but nobody knows what exactly will be offered until Apple reveals it's plans.
Heres hoping it's not too expensive....

geo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They need to do something with MobileMe. I think it is the most expensive and boring service I have ever used. I will not pay for it again.

MarkK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess we all have different requirements.
Personally, I've been using MobileMe right from the start, when it was still called mac.com.
It does exactly what I need it to do. I use it to synch my calendars between different devices (3 Macs, 2 iPhones, 1 iPad), in order for my wife, daughter and me to be able to always check when one of us has plans.
Also, I use it to back up contacts, notes, etc. And I have a backup running which copies my most important documents to MobileMe.
Basically, that's all I want from this service.
I saved my life once already, when my MacBook broke (dropped into a water-basin) while travelling and I could simply get a new one which I then synched all my contacts to.
That alone was worth the money.
That may be boring, but I use it for my business and as I travel a lot, it's vital for me to keep all data in synch and always have backups available wherever I am.

Davefewox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where is the source about mobile me becoming free? I am on my second trial and I really have not been able to determine it's usefulness yet beyond the best contacts manager I have been able to find. Can anyone point me to a post discussing other ways mobile me is helpful ie worth 99 bucks a year

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd love to have a free ME email account. I thought about buying the package..but $100 seems steep considering what I'd use it for...

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess we all have different requirements.
Personally, I've been using MobileMe right from the start, when it was still called mac.com.
It does exactly what I need it to do. I use it to synch my calendars between different devices (3 Macs, 2 iPhones, 1 iPad), in order for my wife, daughter and me to be able to always check when one of us has plans.
Also, I use it to back up contacts, notes, etc. And I have a backup running which copies my most important documents to MobileMe.
Basically, that's all I want from this service.
I saved my life once already, when my MacBook broke (dropped into a water-basin) while travelling and I could simply get a new one which I then synched all my contacts to.
That alone was worth the money.
That may be boring, but I use it for my business and as I travel a lot, it's vital for me to keep all data in synch and always have backups available wherever I am.

That is my biggest problem with Apple and the Ipad that i have to go through a service that cost money for me to use it instead of beening able to directly input the info saight into the device from the desktop and then able to find the data that i have inputted into the device without haveing to go and Synch it up with another service to make sure ithe data is readable at times on the ipad ..

I can understand the need for the whole snych up for updates or buying a game or application from the itunes store but once i have bought the application and inputting data into the device and then haveing to snych it up with mobile me to get the data to be found or read in my device is a total pain in the butt or a security risk to me ..

To me that is one of the things that i do not like about apple and it products for some of the documents that i have on my ipad is of a personal nature and i feel that haveing to go through a company server system to Synch them up for the device to read the inputed data from the desktop that iam put into the book library application to make sure the book can be found inside the library data base

All i want to basically do is input the date into the application and have it be able to recalled the data from the application without haveing to snych it up with the mobile me to back up the files ..To me that what the desktop is for to keep all the documents on and back them up there not some service i have to pay for ..

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where is the source about mobile me becoming free? I am on my second trial and I really have not been able to determine it's usefulness yet beyond the best contacts manager I have been able to find. Can anyone point me to a post discussing other ways mobile me is helpful ie worth 99 bucks a year

I'd love to have a free ME email account. I thought about buying the package..but $100 seems steep considering what I'd use it for...

You have hit the nail on the head i can see maybe $20.oo dollar a year for the service but a $100.oo bucks a year no i can not see it but i have to have it for the socalled updates of the personal data i keep on the ipad ..

Like i said in the one post to me that what the desktop is for to allow you to snych up and input data into a application and not have a problem with trying to read the data once you input the data into the desktop and it snyched up with the ipad to read the socalled input data on the device ..

macwoody

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it's definitely coming....everything outside of Apple points to this technology being viable and perfect for MobileMe. I think very soon we'll see multiple advances toward cloud-life including the iTunes as well....fingers crossed here...would really make my confidence in flying solo with the iPad and leaving my MBP at home....as I currently have for the past 6 months...

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts