What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 4.1 in beta

DarkLordEnron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Who in there right mind is not looking forward to an OS update?

those of us who are fearful that the firmware won't be stable at launch. Also those of us who are JB'n and already have all the promised functionality that apple should have included with such a device, but didn't.

Not trying to pick a fight, simply stating the obvious.

Hopefully Apple with go the open-source route.

wut?

Roi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
roi.rnpmusic.net
I rather wish to have my quick app switch like the way that ios4 provides, not that backgrounder is bad, but I don't want it to drain my battery life as I will be watching out the background running apps all the time(or manually close em).
Plus I prefer to keep it simple, JB is just a little bit too much for me... :D

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree that the iPhone is Apple's flagship product but I'd have thought the profit per unit is greater for iPads?

George Knighton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iOS 4.1 in beta but still no iPad version. :(

Most likely becasue the iPhone 4 and it's numerous complaints.

With stuff running in the background and multitasking wont that suck up most of what little memory the iPad has.
Yes, I think it is likely that it will take some thinking to roll out iOS 4.1 on the iPad considering the smaller amount of RAM that is available.

Looking at the memory that is free on my iPhone 4 right now, I see 135 MB. That is not much left out of the 512 MB with which we start.

Using the Remove BG function brings the 135 MB free up to 318 MB, illustrating that the entire memory in between was being taken up with pre-loaded applications, the decision to pre-load being made based on what I had recently used.

You can see that Apple would struggle a little bit with what percentages to use when dealing with the iPad because when you get down below maybe 60 MB free you can cause a hiccup if you suddenly shock the device with a huge, fat streaming HD video or something.

I'm sure they can figure it out, but I'm also sure that the smaller amount of memory in the iPad vs iPhone makes for slightly different priorities. :)

George Knighton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Regarding Backgrounder, all I can say is that most of us don't really have a use for it.

I've experimented with it on both the iPad and iPhone. I disabled the iOS 4 multi-tasking and put Backgrounder on and found that it did not really enhance the experience over using iOS 4.

I understand the difference. I know that it is possible to configure something to really be "running" with Backgrounder just as if the application were still in the foreground. But I never found that I ever really need that, and it's not like I am a lightweight user.

In other words, I am really looking forward to iOS 4.1 on the iPad. :)

Roi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
roi.rnpmusic.net
iOS 4.1 in beta but still no iPad version. :(

Most likely becasue the iPhone 4 and it's numerous complaints.

With stuff running in the background and multitasking wont that suck up most of what little memory the iPad has.
Yes, I think it is likely that it will take some thinking to roll out iOS 4.1 on the iPad considering the smaller amount of RAM that is available.

Looking at the memory that is free on my iPhone 4 right now, I see 135 MB. That is not much left out of the 512 MB with which we start.

Using the Remove BG function brings the 135 MB free up to 318 MB, illustrating that the entire memory in between was being taken up with pre-loaded applications, the decision to pre-load being made based on what I had recently used.

You can see that Apple would struggle a little bit with what percentages to use when dealing with the iPad because when you get down below maybe 60 MB free you can cause a hiccup if you suddenly shock the device with a huge, fat streaming HD video or something.

I'm sure they can figure it out, but I'm also sure that the smaller amount of memory in the iPad vs iPhone makes for slightly different priorities. :)

I'm not quite sure, but I suppose that iOS may be adapting the same logic of using memory as Mac OS X, the percentage that you see in the OS X does not really reflect the level that the services and applications required. The fact is, they do occupied more memory when you got more installed.

alan111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope that we actually do get it on Sep 7. I'm dying to jb my ipad, but I have 3.2.2. I really want to either jb or have 4.0 for the multitasking. Seems like a very imp feature to me

KAG

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Do you know if upgraded OS will possibly provide some version of Flash or means to listen to live audio while usin another ap? Do you know of any other means to stream music while working in another ap?

ipadfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you know if upgraded OS will possibly provide some version of Flash or means to listen to live audio while usin another ap? Do you know of any other means to stream music while working in another ap?

No, it will not offer flash support. Currently you can listen to most streaming audio services by downloading TuneMark (free from the app store). It will allow you to launch a stream in Safari (which will allow you to close and use another app without it closing the stream).

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...sg=AFQjCNFO5hjVP9BCD1YUIXL92mGX6IY3FA&cad=rja

Most reactions

Latest posts