What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS 11

perseid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded the ios 11 GM official ipsw file following this website directions. Are those instructions safe to follow on the Ipad? And is that file the official final release of ios 11 that will be distributed by Apple on 9/19? How can I indicate Itunes to install the downloaded ipsw file? I'm a newbie to ios (currently with 10.3.3 on the Ipad Pro 12.9 2nd gen). Also, I read that once installed the new ios, I won't be able to use the Ipad until Apple "activates" the new install, so the question is: will Apple activate the installed ios11 or will I have to wait until 9/19?
I understand that the install is risk free because if anything goes wrong I can restore 10.3.3 from the backup I made. Thanks, don't want to wait until 9/19! :mad:

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You won't be able to use the Gold Master (GM) file unless you have a developer account. If you are not a developer it is best to wait until the public release of iOS 11. That's only a week away.

If you absolutely can't wait, and are not a developer, you can join the public beta. There are probably not any major differences between the last public beta and the GM.

But seriously at his point just wait. Both the GM and the public beta will time out soon after the release and you'll have to update again anyway. Why do it twice with only a week to wait?

For those feeling cautious, waiting a week after the release isn't a bad idea. If there are any serious bugs, unlikely as that is, they will have shown up by then.

perseid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks twerppoet, but say I just want to try it, I can revert back to 10.3.3 anyway, so I can have a feel this week before the Apple release next week, will I need to activate or need a special code to use it? Or is the GM a "trial" that expires on 9/19?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The GM is a final pre-release verions that is for developers so that they can test their apps before the public release. You normally get it though Apple's developer site, and it is enabled through their servers. I have no idea how you would enable it by other means, and would be wary of any means that does not involve Apple.

Since I don't have a developer account, I don't know what the details are.

The public beta can be accesed here: Apple Beta Software Program

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A developer beta like the Gold Master has to be installed on a device registered with a developer account. If you find any links on the internet promising that you can install a developer beta without a developer account, they're from people who sell spots on their developer account in violation of the terms and conditions pertaining to the use of a developer account. If Apple finds out, you could see your device bricked by Apple. It's not worth the risk just to get iOS 11 a few days early.

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Asked J.A. About this listing a few days ago, l see that my iPhone 5s is sitting right at the very bottom of the list.
Questions will have to be asked, l think in the relevant forum.

perseid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If Apple finds out, you could see your device bricked by Apple. It's not worth the risk just to get iOS 11 a few days early.
Thanks for the info, definitely not worth it. I'm just spoiled, being a long time Windows user, I always have the "latest".

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, definitely not worth it. I'm just spoiled, being a long time Windows user, I always have the "latest".

As a windows user, did you watch it last night on your PC? I had mine all set up clicked the link and was rewarded with this browser was not for steaming or something missed 15 minutes, setting up my iPad.

Not the right forum, tell me we're to get info
Thanks

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As a windows user, did you watch it last night on your PC? I had mine all set up clicked the link and was rewarded with this browser was not for steaming or something missed 15 minutes, setting up my iPad.

Not the right forum, tell me we're to get info
Thanks
I watched it on my iPad.

perseid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I watched part of the Apple event in my Windows PC. It's unacceptable that the Ipad is unable to play Youtube 4K or 8K videos and certain widespread video formats like mkv, even more so with the CPU and display capability of the latest Ipad....it's beyond me.

There was another iOS 11 update on my iPad today. I am on the public beta.
What does that mean? That the final iOS 11 was already patched?

Most reactions

Latest posts