What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Internet Explorer access

origun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have one website which I use often (on Macbook Pro and iPad) but it has one link that I would like to be able to access...but it only works with Internet Explorer. I have contacted the techs at the site and they have confirmed that to be true. On my Macbook Pro, I can access it with Crossover for Mac; it doesn't function too well but does give me access to what I need to know. So...my question: Is there anything comparable to Crossover for Mac that is an iPad app? Or is there another browser that might be worth trying? I have tried Terra and Atomic Web and neither of them are any better than Safari.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Opera Mini or one of the Flash browsers. They all run on remote servers and stream to the iPad. Everything else on the iPad uses the same webkit engine as Safari.

OP
O

origun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions. I downloaded the Opera Mini app...but had the same problem with the one site I'd like to access. I got a message that if the desired menus didn't appear, there was a problem with Javascript which is used extensively on the site and that I had to lower my security settings from High to Medium.????
I checked out Photon Flash Web Browser--was that what you were referring to? I haven't purchased yet--have to decide whether it is worth spending $4.99 and having it not work.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are several Flash browsers. None of them work very well, at least for Flash. It has been a long time since I bothered to look, but when I was paying attention iSwifter, Skyfire, and Puffin were the more popular.

I can't guarantee any of them will work. Actually, since the site doesn't work well on any non IE browser (according to you) I suspect they will all fail. If I understand right, most of them are based on server versions of FireFox. Caveat emptor, and all that.

My experience with these apps is fairly limited. I keep Puffin and Opera Mini around for site testing, and that's about it.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you considered a remote desktop app such as Splashtop, LogMeIn, Jump or the like? With one of those, you can access your home computer as if you were there - which means you can use it to access the web via Internet Explorer.

No endorsement of the apps is intended, nor do I know which one(s) work with a Mac - but maybe a line of thought to follow?

Marilyn

OP
O

origun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I downloaded the Puffin browser but that didn't solve my problem. I tried the Remote Desktop, downloading LogMeIn, and I got it up and running with my Mac laptop but the contact with my laptop had to be through Crossover for Mac (as I don't have a PC with IE) and it was pretty awkward and less than ideal. The screen within a screen was so small that I could hardly see what I was doing. However, I learned some things in the process which is always good.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It probably won't help much, but you could try turning on Zoom in Settings > General > Accessibility. It will probably pixilate like crazy, but the icons and text fields would be easier to tap.

Not much you can do about the awkwardness. The best remote desktop apps are still rather clumsy.

Keep an eye on the OnLive and CloudOn virtual desktop services. At some point they will be adding paid accounts with extra app options. If they allow adding IE that might be an option for you, since it would be a full version of IE.

Most reactions