What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Internet adds and pop ups?????????????? why

motsco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what is with all the advertisements? every time I log on to almost any forum I get adds and pop ups. on my ipad 4. it is just as bad as my windows computer. it's annoying. I have to double or press and hold my back button to get back a page. my PC with windows does the same thing. is safari now owned by ie?

even this forum has tons of adds all over the pages and when you first sign in there is a pop up. couldn't tell you what that pop up is because I don't care!!! I sign on to here to learn something not to buy something.

rant over.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've never seen a pop up ad on this Forum but then I'm always signed in, so maybe that's why I never get them. Yes we do have advertisements, Forums do cost a lot of money to run and the only way to earn money is by having Company's pay to advertise.

Sorry that they annoy you, but if not for them this Forum and many others would not be able to survive.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The popup on initial page load for this forum is letting you know that there is an ipad or iphone app that you can use instead of safari. One of the site cookies tells the server that the popup has already been seen, so you shouldn't get that popup again unless you clear your browser cookies.

As far as ads, they're only going to become more common place as the economy goes downhil. There will come a time when advertising will become less affordable.. and on that day I will dance in the streets :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
what is with all the advertisements? every time I log on to almost any forum I get adds and pop ups. on my ipad 4. it is just as bad as my windows computer. it's annoying. I have to double or press and hold my back button to get back a page. my PC with windows does the same thing. is safari now owned by ie?

even this forum has tons of adds all over the pages and when you first sign in there is a pop up. couldn't tell you what that pop up is because I don't care!!! I sign on to here to learn something not to buy something.

Well, the need for ads on most web sites has already been explained, so I'm assuming that you're getting 'pop-ups' (and/or 'pop-unders') that interfere w/ you viewing multiple different forums? Just referring to Safari on the iPad, if not already done, go into 'Settings -> Safari'; there are a number of options, including clearing history, cookies, etc. - pop-ups & JavaScript can be set to on or off - let us know if changing these settings helps - also keep in mind that there are other browsers available for the iPad - I have 'Atomic Web' & 'Maxthon' on my device - good luck! Dave :)

OP
M

motsco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand the need for advertising. are the advertisers fishing? I use my ipad for a lot of golf stuff. here's a pic of first page load same look when signed in.

View attachment 48067

now on my pc and I'm noticing it now with my ipad is that some places there is so much advertisement that it is not worth letting the site load. not as bad on the ipad.

please educate me, my thinking was most of these fishing adds come from the browser side. but if you are telling me that this forum is being paid from what you see in these pictures I would gladly except that. and if your paid by the clicking would promptly get to clicking.

pics of pop ups. not signed in to forum.
View attachment 48065

View attachment 48066

thanks for your time,
Tom

Last edited:
OP
M

motsco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
regarding Dave's post I am using safari, I have the pop up blocker set to on also the java.

I can't get the other 2. images to load here are the links if that's ok.
img_0175.png

img_0176.png

tom

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Tom, I do get ads like the one in your first pic, the golfing one, but I'm not getting that ad right now.....it may be country specific and I'm in Australia.

Right now I'm getting Pizza Hut UK which is a tad weird although we do have Pizza Huts here. So some ads seem to be global while others are not. I have noticed Aussie ads before for me.

Now I've never had the popups you have posted but then I have always had my popup blocker on. So are you getting them still and did you have your blocker on all this time.....I'm not sure from what you say. If you've changed the setting you may have to close Safari and relaunch for the setting to activate.

OP
M

motsco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tom, I do get ads like the one in your first pic, the golfing one, but I'm not getting that ad right now.....it may be country specific and I'm in Australia.

Right now I'm getting Pizza Hut UK which is a tad weird although we do have Pizza Huts here. So some ads seem to be global while others are not. I have noticed Aussie ads before for me.

Now I've never had the popups you have posted but then I have always had my popup blocker on. So are you getting them still and did you have your blocker on all this time.....I'm not sure from what you say. If you've changed the setting you may have to close Safari and relaunch for the setting to activate.

pop up blocker on since startup.

have you searched anything golf or pizza related?

because when I check forum sites with the wife s ipad it has adds of things she has searched.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
pop up blocker on since startup.

have you searched anything golf or pizza related?

because when I check forum sites with the wife s ipad it has adds of things she has searched.

Well I just logged out of the forum.....and then when I loaded it again, there were different ads but no popups. But it was an Australian company advertising, when I logged in, this ad had then disappeared.

I haven't searched for those things but I think my daughter did do a search for pizzas the other day and now you've got me wondering.

I'll keep an eye on that train of thought in the meantime. Good thinking on your part, I must say! ;)

But now I'm wondering if it has anything to do with Google and their Adsense advertising.

Most reactions

Latest posts