What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing larger SSD Card

UncleDannie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there something that prevents an iPad from recognizing a 128 or 256GB SSD card? If not, how hard is it to solder a new one in?

I'm not technician, but it would seem that this could be a niche business for someone with steady hands and excellent eyesight.

I assume I can swap out my 16GB drive and install a 64GB card if I wanted to pay the expense.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your warranty would be void one makes decisions at time of purchase to what size memory is best for you I suggest using an external wifi memory unit to resolve your problem

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by the wifi memory units...

I have tried searching, but haven't found much info... any details on where I can find the skinny on those units? Links? Etc?

Thanks!! :)

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
On desktop computer, you can easily expand its storage by plugging in an external hard drive or simply a thumb drive. You may be using the earlier generation of iPhone with only 8GB storage or a iPad So, what if you would like to expand it? Check out AirStash.

AirStash is a wireless flash drive (via SD card) with built-in media server. It’s just like your USB thumb drive but with wireless capability. You can simply drag & drop the movies, music, photo files to a SD card, plug it into AirStash, which can then automatically share the files wirelessly with any WiFi-enable gadgets including iPhone, iPad, iPod touch . With AirStash, you can freely to expand the iPhone’s, ipad's storage. Just bring along with additional SD cards and you easily expand the iPhone storage to over 32GB.

As AirStash supports standard SD/SDHC and microSD/SDHC cards, it can power your iPhone to read files on these cards directly. This is simply awesome! Think about how you can view the photos on your digital camera to iPhone. QNormally, you load all the photos from the SD card to your PC/Mac and then sync the photos back to iPhone via iTunes. But with AirStash, you can just pull out the SD card from the digital camera, put it into AirStash and you can download the photos directly onto iPhone. Cool, right?

This information has been requested by a member it is provided as a possible solution to resolve a storage issue with his iPad

Col.Bris

Last edited:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
The iPad uses MLC NAND flash chips for its internal storage. So no you cant upgrade it. This image is for one with 64GB

DTO6oc6aUCsnIZZR.huge

OP
U

UncleDannie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the fast responses. I already have an AirStash with 32GB card, that 'works' but, putting in a 256GB flash card was an intriguing thought. I understand that these devices are hard-soldered to the iPad motherboard, but I just thought that if I bought a 16GB iPad and you bought a 64GB unit, all that should be different is the flash drive soldered to the motherboard. If you can put a 64 on the board, then why not a 128 or a 256GB?

Just a simple question, not wanting to start a war.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the fast responses. I already have an AirStash with 32GB card, that 'works' but, putting in a 256GB flash card was an intriguing thought. I understand that these devices are hard-soldered to the iPad motherboard, but I just thought that if I bought a 16GB iPad and you bought a 64GB unit, all that should be different is the flash drive soldered to the motherboard. If you can put a 64 on the board, then why not a 128 or a 256GB?

Just a simple question, not wanting to start a war.

Have fun desoldering those chips, Unless you do this for a living I would not even attempt it. You also need to make sure the solder doesnt get on any of the other traces.

Last edited:

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow. Airstash looks pretty freakin' amazing. When that comes back in stock, I think I might need to look at picking one up.

Although yes, I do kick myself for not just buying a frickin' 32 gig iPad because, really, this is going to be the same price difference... sigh.

Oh, and to note, it looks like it would suck up the WiFi signal, so if you're connected via WiFi, you bail on your internet connection... hrm...

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts