What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installed apps

Noot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I look at the usage of the memory of the iPad I see that half of the capacity is being used by apps. Is there a possibility to see details which app uses how much memory?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and Welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a Community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the IPad.
There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions that you have. If then you can't find the answer you are seeking, then by all means post your question. You will find many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - Discussion Forum for IPad Users It is a very simple app to navigate.
Reading the iPad Manuals is a great place to start, so please download a copy of these http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the iPad
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us. Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I look at the usage of the memory of the iPad I see that half of the capacity is being used by apps. Is there a possibility to see details which app uses how much memory?

A couple of points. If you're used to a conventional PC you may find Apple's eccentric use of the term "memory" to be confusing. The original iPad has 256K "memory" (meaning RAM) and the iPad 2 has 512K RAM. Apple doesn't publicize these numbers, probably because they're paltry compared to most conventional computers (and some of the iPad's competitors.) What Apple calls "memory" is actually a combination of the RAM an app requires and the storage associated with the data it accesses.

To understand this in conventional terms, assume that you have 15 gigabytes of MS Word docs on a PC and that the Word application itself is (just for the sake of illustration) 800mg in size. In Apple's view, that means Word would be 15.8 gigs in size. And if you added another five gigs of documents the Word app would be 20.8 gigs.

Furthermore, if you had, say, 20 gigabytes of jpg files on your computer with multiple apps designed to display jpg's, you wouldn't say that each app is 20+ gigabytes in size. But because of Apple's OS architecture, that would be the case with separate storage required for each app that accesses a particular jpg.

What this means is that if you subscribe to a magazine, such as the New Yorker, the app will consume more "memory" as you download additional issues of the magazine. That, of course, is an odd way to think about it. Much like saying that if you add music or video content to your iPad, the apps that access that content "grow" in size. My New Yorker app, for example, now consumes about 3Gigs of "memory." Each time I add another issue, it grows, despite the fact that the app itself has not changed. And if I "archive" an issue (i.e. remove it from my iPad), the New Yorker app will "shrink" in size.

There are reasons other than marketing for Apple's approach. For one thing it reduces the chance that a virus embedded in data (i.e. content) can "leak" into a common area where it can affect the overall performance of the iPad. But as noted above, if you have a single PDF and two apps to display/modify it, you'll have two copies of the pdf and changes made by one app won't be reflected by the other. Further, it makes comparing the size of apps difficult. A PDF reader associated with one document, for example, will be much smaller than an identical app with 50 pdf's associated with it even if the "apps" are exactly the same size.

rajbox67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently I encounter that,whenever I install any application from Apple store.
Apprently I can't install the application...
Please help....

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
rajbox67 said:
Please help....

Can you give us some more info on what is happening, do you get a pop up saying anything? Does it start loading then stops?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

PNTInk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rajbox67 said:
Please help....

I'm having this issue, as well as not being able to install updates directly on the iPad. I phoned technical support today and was given the run around when the usual fixes didn't work. I restored the device, rebooted hardware and software, and then had to connect to iTunes via the laptop to finish the updates. My calls kept getting disconnected, so that's as far as I got in 3 hours.

Most reactions

Latest posts