What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting Real Time Memory Usage for Your App

ajfa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a beginner IPad developer and am just getting familiar with objective-c and the CocoaTouch framework.

One thing that I've been wondering about now that I'm looking at memory management is if it's possible to ask the OS at any time about how much memory your application is using so that you can handle continued memory allocation based on it.

I'm not exactly sure what the max memory usage of an app is on the IPad. I've heard numbers from 80mb to 150mb for max usage for a single app and I understand you get memory warnings even before reaching 80mb.

If we knew a dependable figure for the max, would it be possible to check real time memory usage and make decisions to continue loading when usage is low and freeing when you get close to the limit?

Thanks for any tips on this!

Most reactions