What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Impressed with voice to text ability

jimbo1mcm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think one of the best features of the new ipad is the voice input to text ability. I try to use it as much as possible, since I prefer it to typing on the keyboard. It is very accurate, probably in the high 90's. It is internal, not requiring a connection to a server. Won't work with passwords for security reasons probably.

colorado_scott

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also enjoy this. I used my Bluetooth generic headset and it worked even better. Had the TV going and background noise and it worked well. I will continue to use this with the headset.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Yeah it does work really great.

However its not internal like you suggest. It requires a connection to the internet so that the recorded voice can be processed by a remote server. If you put the ipad in airplane mode, the option for dictation is actualy removed from the keyboard since there is no way for it to communicate with the online servers.

I'm thinking that they included the needed hardware in the new ipad that allows it to easily differenciate between the person talking and background noise. This is why iPhones older than the iphone 4s dont have dictation or siri. Siri is currently beta and has a lot of reported issues so I'm thinking that apple should be able to have everything together and ready over this summer and iOS 6 would bring Siri to the new iPad.

Last edited:

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah it does work really great.

However its not internal like you suggest. It requires a connection to the internet so that the recorded voice can be processed by a remote server. If you put the ipad in airplane mode, the option for dictation is actualy removed from the keyboard since there is no way for it to communicate with the online servers.

I'm thinking that they included the needed hardware in the new ipad that allows it to easily differenciate between the person talking and background noise. This is why iPhones older than the iphone 4s dont have dictation or siri. Siri is currently beta and has a lot of reported issues so I'm thinking that apple should be able to have everything together and ready over this summer and iOS 6 would bring Siri to the new iPad.

Holy cow, I never realized the new dictation was external until you pointed it out. I did an experiment by disconnecting Wifi and sure enough, the dictation icon is gone.

Thanks a lot for bring this up...

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here is the really interesting part to dwell on ;)

Everything you say has the potential to be stored on an Apple server.

I can't WAIT for the privacy police to come out of the wood-works for this one.

Most reactions

Latest posts