What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Importing Files

IrishiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well that's the iPad purchased and set up. Now I need to transfer my MS Office files to the iPad for editing with Pages and Numbers. The only way I can work out to transfer them is to e-mail them. I don't really understand iCloud and had some issues with it when I first updated my iPhone. Things like iTunes constantly opening up on my computers, etc. Therefore, I have pretty much avoided iCloud. So, is there an easier way to do it than e-mail as I will be looking to transfer the files backwards and forwards between iPad and computers.?

Thanks in advance.

OP
I

IrishiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. That's my understanding. Anywhere you want to share the files you will need Dropbox installed.

DavidGammon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Pogoplug and it's really cool.. 50 pounds gets you your own personal cloud ....... Stream ,share etc and never pay any fees......

pogoplug. com

Dave

OP
I

IrishiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a query on DropBox. I've transferred some Excel files to my iPad using DropBox. When I open them on the iPad in DropBox they don't seem to be editable so I open it using Numbers and make my changes. How do I then move the updated version back to DropBox for Syncing? I can see how to move via email, WebDAV, iWork and a couple of others but not DropBox. I'm sure it's straightforward enough. Any ideas?

OP
I

IrishiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to bump this thread. Just really need an answer to my last question. Still struggling. Thanks :)

RichmondGiant

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IrishiPad said:
Sorry to bump this thread. Just really need an answer to my last question. Still struggling. Thanks :)

I gave up on Dropbox, preferring to stay within Pages. I use Box.net which is basically the same thing as Dropbox, except it has built in WEBDAV access, allowing me to upload my files from a PC or Mac, and access them, modify them, copy, etc directly within Pages. If you search on Box.net and WEBDAV you'll see the settings and process to make this work seemlessly.

If you are wed to Dropbox for whatever reason, there is a third party WEBDAV server called DropDAV which can do the same thing.

I also recommend getting a file manager to manage your files on your cloud storage (Dropbox/Box.net/other). I like GoodReader for that.

OP
I

IrishiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RichmondGiant said:
I gave up on Dropbox, preferring to stay within Pages. I use Box.net which is basically the same thing as Dropbox, except it has built in WEBDAV access, allowing me to upload my files from a PC or Mac, and access them, modify them, copy, etc directly within Pages. If you search on Box.net and WEBDAV you'll see the settings and process to make this work seemlessly.

If you are wed to Dropbox for whatever reason, there is a third party WEBDAV server called DropDAV which can do the same thing.

I also recommend getting a file manager to manage your files on your cloud storage (Dropbox/Box.net/other). I like GoodReader for that.

Are you saying that if I edit a file in Pages then I can't move it back to Dropbox to share with my other devices? Is that not a bit pointless then??

Most reactions

Latest posts