What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

imovie on ipad2 can ONLY edit ipad videos

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score

dreador

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The main thing ive found when doing this on a ipad 1 using a memory card is the name seems to be as important.

Mine always sees files named SDCxxxxx.MP4 (xxxxx = incremental number ie 10001) upper case is also required, even the extension in lowercase fails.

Last edited:

webvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Catching up with this and I'm disappointed to report that the MP4s of my Sony HX5V are not viewable either in iMovie or in ReelDirector. I can play them with iFile/VideoPlayer though. No option to upload to YouTube from the photo album, let's try with PixelPipe...nope, doesn't even appear there. Looks like I'd have to go through the hassle of a conversion on my PC unless something can be worked out via iFile...

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It might be helpful for some (me for sure) if those with video cams that can shoot a native format that the iPad and iMovie can view/edit with camera connect kit can post it here.

I'll kick this off.

Kodak Playsport, only VGA format can be received via the SD card. IMovie will edit the video easily.

13clicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This one worked sweet n easy! Thanks Z!

This one worked sweet n easy! Thanks Z!

OK, after hours of working it out, I think I have a solution, at least its working for me.
1. Download Aleesoft Free iPad Video Converter.
2. Open up the program and select new task.
3. Open up the video you want iMovies to "see"
4. Select "iPad HD Video (*.mp4)" then click options.
5. On the audio tab, the following should be selected:
-Double Channel
-aac
-44100 sampling rate
-128 bit rate
6. On the video tab, the following should be selected:
-h264 video codec
-30 frame rate
-2500 bit rate
7. On the resize tab, select the custom size and make it 1280X720, aspect ratio normal
8. Click save and apply.
9. Then pick your destination folder and select "Convert"
10. Once its done, put that video into any of your "Photo" folders that syncs with iTunes and you should be able to see the video in iMovie.

Good Luck.

poker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It might be helpful for some (me for sure) if those with video cams that can shoot a native format that the iPad and iMovie can view/edit with camera connect kit can post it here.

I'll kick this off.

Kodak Playsport, only VGA format can be received via the SD card. IMovie will edit the video easily.

I just bought the Playsport but only read your post now about SD only. It's awful to know that there is such a limitation that probably shouldn't exist. I'll probably return the Playsport in a few days.

I just tested the Canon 5DMKII and the Canon 7D video files with the iPad. I was only able to play and edit the standard definition video files from the Canon 5DMKII. I used the USB adapter from the camera kit.

It also bugs me I can't connect my HTC Evo and the Playsport directly to the iPad 2 via USB. I get the power consumption error.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
poker said:
I just bought the Playsport but only read your post now about SD only. It's awful to know that there is such a limitation that probably shouldn't exist. I'll probably return the Playsport in a few days.

I just tested the Canon 5DMKII and the Canon 7D video files with the iPad. I was only able to play and edit the standard definition video files from the Canon 5DMKII. I used the USB adapter from the camera kit.

It also bugs me I can't connect my HTC Evo and the Playsport directly to the iPad 2 via USB. I get the power consumption error.

That's strange it won't let u connect the phone or cam. I have a jvc envision(think that's the name) digital cam that let me connect to my ipad1 thru USB. Initially, it'll only show the pix, as the vid format is different. But with my iPad being Jailbroken and I have ifiles, I can see "Everything" that's on the cam. Then I can just cit/paste the vid(not iPad supported format) into the documents folder of 3rd party media player. Then when I open app up, my movies are there.

Sent from my Jailbroken IPad on 4.2.1 ;-)

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a jvc envision(think that's the name) digital cam that let me connect to my ipad1 thru USB. Initially, it'll only show the pix, as the vid format is different. But with my iPad being Jailbroken and I have ifiles, I can see "Everything" that's on the cam. Then I can just cit/paste the vid(not iPad supported format) into the documents folder of 3rd party media player. Then when I open app up, my movies are there.

Out of curiousity, with your jb'ed iPad can you play more video formats and resolutions?

poker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your JB iPad has many benefits. There was an iOS update that stopped some USB devices from working and caused the message "connected USB device requires too much power."

ajstan99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, Zwiller! The instructions were well written and easy to follow. I was even able to import a 4:3 video into iMovie with the proper aspect ratio by substituting the following settings for step 7 (Resize Tab):

Custom size: 960x720
Aspect Ratio: 4x3

OK, after hours of working it out, I think I have a solution, at least its working for me.
1. Download Aleesoft Free iPad Video Converter.
2. Open up the program and select new task.
3. Open up the video you want iMovies to "see"
4. Select "iPad HD Video (*.mp4)" then click options.
5. On the audio tab, the following should be selected:
-Double Channel
-aac
-44100 sampling rate
-128 bit rate
6. On the video tab, the following should be selected:
-h264 video codec
-30 frame rate
-2500 bit rate
7. On the resize tab, select the custom size and make it 1280X720, aspect ratio normal
8. Click save and apply.
9. Then pick your destination folder and select "Convert"
10. Once its done, put that video into any of your "Photo" folders that syncs with iTunes and you should be able to see the video in iMovie.

Good Luck.

webvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried that method but the converted files have no video when I play them back with VLC on my laptop so I hadn't transfered them to the iPad, same for you?

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hoshnasi said:
Out of curiousity, with your jb'ed iPad can you play more video formats and resolutions?

But of course. Lol. It allows me to bypass iTunes and put, for example, a DivX vid inside of CineXplayer app's documents folder and I'm done. Open up CineXplayer and that movie that's not supported by apple works thru that media app and without me needing to sync thru iTunes. U can do the same by syncing thru iTunes but jailbreak method is wayyyy faster and u can do it anywhere u please. Doing it the iTunes way means u have to hook iPad up to desktop/laptop. My method is all within the iPad itself. Same thing for other types of files putting them into different apps.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Basically, jail breaking and ifiles makes the iPad more like a regular PC. U have total control of internal file system, like a pc/Mac style file explorer, only it's on the iPad ;-)

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hoshnasi said:

But of course. Lol. It allows me to bypass iTunes and put, for example, a DivX vid inside of CineXplayer app's documents folder and I'm done. Open up CineXplayer and that movie that's not supported by apple works thru that media app and without me needing to sync thru iTunes. U can do the same by syncing thru iTunes but jailbreak method is wayyyy faster and u can do it anywhere u please. Doing it the iTunes way means u have to hook iPad up to desktop/laptop. My method is all within the iPad itself. Same thing for other types of files putting them into different apps.

Well I'm looking forward to the jailbreak then. Sounds like I'll be able to use the camera connection kit on anything then.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hoshnasi said:
Well I'm looking forward to the jailbreak then. Sounds like I'll be able to use the camera connection kit on anything then.

Basically but the main gripe is with apple having reduced the voltage output thru the pin connector. iPad use to be able to do zoo much more and use all sorts of devices. Now since they reduced the voltage, not everything that worked b4, works now. It's more of a trupial n error finding out what USB devices work hooked up to iPad now. It's possibly even with 4.3+ , they've reduced it even more as I've read people having issues. It can't be pinpointed het whether its the ipad2 or it's the new iOS doing this. Either way Jailbreaking, for a fact, lets u do more with the iPad thn right out the box. I think if jail braking was called "ipunlocking" or something like that instead, more people would do it. There's a negative connotation surrounding the word "jail brake". Makes u thing it's something bad or illegal or something that will hurt the iPad, when in fact, it's none of those things at all ;-)

Most reactions

Latest posts