What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Imessages & Sign In

Woodie10059

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, Newbie here. My partner has an ipad 1 which today she has been having problems with. She uses Messaging to communicate with a friend who is unwell and they message regularly. Today Messages seems to have stopped working, my partner could not receive or send messages. Googling around, we tried various suggestions to no avail. Finally someone suggested signing out of her Apple account, closing Messaging...and then opening Messaging and signing back in to her Apple account. Problem is we cannot sign back in again. Every time she inputs her password, she gets a message " An error occurred during activation.Try again". Can any one help get us working again please.

Woodie10059

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you haven't already done it, try rebooting the iPad, then try logging in again.

I think I'm right in saying that there is no FaceTime on the iPad 1 since there is no camera. iMessage problems can sometimes be traced back to FaceTime and vice versa, since the services are linked.

Can you just confirm that you are talking about an iPad 1 and not an iPad Air 1, because that will make a difference?

OP
W

Woodie10059

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you haven't already done it, try rebooting the iPad, then try logging in again.

I think I'm right in saying that there is no FaceTime on the iPad 1 since there is no camera. iMessage problems can sometimes be traced back to FaceTime and vice versa, since the services are linked.

Can you just confirm that you are talking about an iPad 1 and not an iPad Air 1, because that will make a difference?
As far as I know it is an Ipad1 how do I tell ?. Can you explain reboot please ?.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it does not have a camera above the screen, it is an iPad 1. All other iPads have two cameras.

Reboot means hold down home and lock buttons until the Apple logo appears on the screen, then release the and let the iPad restart. It's a way of cleaning out the cobwebs.

OP
W

Woodie10059

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Definatly no camera....and I tried the reboot with no success.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure you're connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data.

Go to Settings - General - Date & Time, and take a look at your time zone. It should be set up correctly.

OP
W

Woodie10059

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just in the last 5 mins seem to be working again. Did as J.A suggested earlier this afternoon, with no success. Finally tried another thing suggested on this forum on an earlier thread. Went to Settings- Safari, then deleted History Cookies and Data. After that I did log in successfully first time. And now Messages is receiving and sending. Do not know if this last trick did the trick. BUT several people suggested this on other forums. Thank you all that took the time to help.

Woodie10059

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We live and learn. I hadn't heard of that fix, but I'll be remembering it.

Good to hear you got it running, and thanks for coming back with that info.

Most reactions

Latest posts