What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ifile help

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Some are having success with flash drives however I am not. I have a Sandisk cruiser and it says it uses to much power. I have not heard of any specific brand that does work. I just got iFile the other day and read that article myself. I just now tried mine and the result was my first line of this post. If I run across better info I will post you the link.

I tried three drives and ditto, the same [roblem. Then I grabbed my cheap old PNY Attaché 2gig and it worked. I am of the opinion the drive that works requires less voltage than my 16 and 32 G drives. Should be easy to check on the PNY web site. I'll bet they provide technical specs like voltage requirements.

My micro SD cards all work well, though.

Bob Maxey

OP
B

beatlejohn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I grabbed my cheap old PNY Attaché 2gig and it worked.

hmmmm intersting. does anyone have any larger PNY flash drives they can test. just looked on ebay and they are everywhere. im interested in testing one but wanna get a decent size one. could someone post if they have any more info?

omsc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I have a iFile and it seems to read my SD card just fine; I've got the same problems as others with thumb drives.

However, I have a different question. How do I move files from my iPad to my SD card? That is, I would like to use my SD card, and eventually a thumb drive, as backup storage. I know about Dropbox etc, but I am thinking of situations where I am offline and need a backup for files and photos I've created in the field. I am always able to back things up into the cloud thus I need to be able to use an SD card, etc. So, if I create doc in say Devonthink or Docs to Go, or have photos, and I want to back them up via iFile what do I do?

If this is painfully obvious my apologies but I am just not able to figure it out. I have no pride about such things so feel free to explain in the most basic terms.

Thanks!

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I have a iFile and it seems to read my SD card just fine; I've got the same problems as others with thumb drives.

However, I have a different question. How do I move files from my iPad to my SD card? That is, I would like to use my SD card, and eventually a thumb drive, as backup storage. I know about Dropbox etc, but I am thinking of situations where I am offline and need a backup for files and photos I've created in the field. I am always able to back things up into the cloud thus I need to be able to use an SD card, etc. So, if I create doc in say Devonthink or Docs to Go, or have photos, and I want to back them up via iFile what do I do?

If this is painfully obvious my apologies but I am just not able to figure it out. I have no pride about such things so feel free to explain in the most basic terms.

Thanks!

Copy(or move)file in ifile, then paste in section of ifiles showing ur SD card or thumb drive! ;-)

omsc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks!

Copy(or move)file in ifile, then paste in section of ifiles showing ur SD card or thumb drive! ;-)

Thanks a lot! So cool to have this work.

electricidiot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Flash Drive Brand Driven

I too, like so many here, saw the iFile YouTube video and thought, sweet, now I can have all this additional storage blah blah blah.

So I plugged in my camera kit and I plugged in my flash drive, and no go.

I tried a 2nd and a 3rd and a 4th flash drive, and no go. I read this and other forums suggesting Apple had lowered the power thresh-hold necessary to read, then other places saying that it was the size of the flash drive.

Well, I've been through 2GB, 4GB, and 8GB and none have worked (don't have anything lower in the house, but at smaller than 2GB the idea of external storage starts to fall apart, no?).

But I found one last 8GB flash drive, a Lexar brand, plugged it in and nothing happened at first. No annoying pop up about this flash drive taking too much power. Could it be, I wondered.

So I went to iFile, and lo and behold, it worked. I had full access to all the contents of this cheap 8GB flash drive.

Naturally, I popped it out, plugged it into my Mac, and went to check the format. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Nope, the Lexar 8GB that read and a PNY 4GB and a Cruzer 8GB that didn't were all formatted to MS-DOS (FAT32).

So as far as I can tell, it is likely the power issue and certain flash drives simply ask for more juice to work and the ones that ask for the least are the ones the iPad is capable of reading.

Now what we need to do on the forum is create a list of successful flash drive models.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Some are having success with flash drives however I am not. I have a Sandisk cruiser and it says it uses to much power. I have not heard of any specific brand that does work. I just got iFile the other day and read that article myself. I just now tried mine and the result was my first line of this post. If I run across better info I will post you the link.

Hence the need for a database of flash drives.

I no longer use my flash drives, though. I prefer to use my MicroSD cards. Smaller size and less chance to knock the flash drive silly; it does stick out a bit.

That said, I have tried two PNY Attaché Flash Drives. An old one from a few years ago and a new one, fresh off the racks of Best Buy. Both are 2GB and both work flawlessly.

Bob

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone got a powered external hard drive working on 4.2.1 with and untethered jailbreak? The drive I'm trying to use used to work fine before, but it doesn't show up in ifile now. SD cards work just fine. Any ideas?

Most reactions

Latest posts