What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ifile help

beatlejohn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hey guys
just JB my ipad (about half hour ago yay!) i
just downloaed IFile cos i read u can play movies and view photos straight off the usb drive but when i connect mine i cant see anything. its only the stuff already on my ipad that i can view. am i missing something? any help would be great. im running the lasted firmware on my ipad is this a problem?

OP
B

beatlejohn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi thanks for yr message. I read that before but I saw on YouTube people using flash drives with file. When I try it the USB drive doesn't show up :(

sfarringto1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some are having success with flash drives however I am not. I have a Sandisk cruiser and it says it uses to much power. I have not heard of any specific brand that does work. I just got iFile the other day and read that article myself. I just now tried mine and the result was my first line of this post. If I run across better info I will post you the link.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check and make sure u checking the right section in ifiles. Not everyones flash drive will pop up saying flash drive or a section labeled flash drive. Try var/mount, i believe, or somethin similar. Apple makes it difficult by having everything scattered and not labeled correctly to be easy to read or find files in the system. Definitely not as easy as finding something in windows file system..lol good luck! Are u on the new RC6 jailbrake?

OP
B

beatlejohn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi thanks for yr info
i checked on youtube before and when they put their flash drive into the ipad they clicked dismiss when it said the flash drive used too much power.... then they went into var/mount and then there was a folder called mst or something but its not on my ifile :(
and yes im on the latest GP jailbrake :)

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi thanks for yr info
i checked on youtube before and when they put their flash drive into the ipad they clicked dismiss when it said the flash drive used too much power.... then they went into var/mount and then there was a folder called mst or something but its not on my ifile :(
and yes im on the latest GP jailbrake :)

Hmmm...might be a flash drive unable to read due to voltage issues. But i read u can still see ur movies on flashdrive, that u already installed? I dont think it wrks with every singke brand or type of flash drive. Might be a file format unable to read or view. Hopefully someone else chime in on this issue. Thats wierd if u can see ur movies on the flash drive, but not the other files u have. Id say keep wrkn at it ;-) or put some kind of new tester file on ur flash drivve to see if that shows up. If it does, then probaly its the format of the other files u cant see thats causing them not to be seen. But i thought ifile can see everything, regardless if u can open/view it or not.

OP
B

beatlejohn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
no i cant see my flash drive at all. all i can see in ifile are the files already on my ipad i cant find where my flash drive is maybe its just the brand. might try and buy another flash drive today and try that. all mine are san disk ones.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
no i cant see my flash drive at all. all i can see in ifile are the files already on my ipad i cant find where my flash drive is maybe its just the brand. might try and buy another flash drive today and try that. all mine are san disk ones.

Id say keep searching in ifiles. Its probaly there but not labeled as a flash drive. Lots of section in ifiles to search. Start from the / section and check every folder. Thats all i can think of. I had files that i could never find, but w/ thouroughly searching each section and folder, i finally found them. U have to do it manually. Maybe not all flash drives will give a pop up. Thays why i say to keep searching in ifiles.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
beatlejohn said:

It may be the formatting on the drive. Make sure it is jus the standard formatting.

OP
B

beatlejohn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yeh i'll go thru every folder. i did get the message "this device requires too much power to run" or something like that and i dismissed that. its only a 2gb san disk but maybe its just too much to run it?? i'll keep checking though!

OP
B

beatlejohn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It may be the formatting on the drive. Make sure it is jus the standard formatting.[/QUOTE]

its just the standard flash drive i havent changed anything formatting or anything. should i format it maybe?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
beatlejohn said:
It may be the formatting on the drive. Make sure it is jus the standard formatting.

its just the standard flash drive i havent changed anything formatting or anything. should i format it maybe?[/QUOTE]

You can try, but I don't think it will help. Just make sure, when you reformat it, it erases everything on it.

OP
B

beatlejohn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
nope nothing is working. even tried a powered external hard drive and cant find it either. its the whole reason i bought ifile in the first place! oh well!

UPDATE: sd memory cards seem to work fine. flash drives do not! even trying to import photos normally wont work. seems silly it wont support such a small flash drive!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts