What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Icons and a few things gone very wrong...

Geekinthegarden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A few days ago I update a few apps, as I recall they were: MyWi, Activator, and Circuitous. Afterwards the display of icons on my screen was reset with smaller icons with more space between. Also the wallpaper is missing and in certain apps there seems to be a new theme in the menubar. Also the resolution of certain app screens seems to be altered with certain buttons not working unless I rotate to landscape mode. I reset Activator to default settings thinking that since that was one of the apps I updated maybe that was it and it fixes the problem until I restart and then it is back to the strangeness.

Also, in looking around the Cydia app manager for the first time in awhile I'm seeing all sorts of stuff listed there that I did not install?! Were these things installed as a part of the apps I did install?

Any ideas?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Yes the apps all install "dependancies", these are other apps they require to be installed in order to run.

The issue you get should be fixable by respringing the springboard. This is normal for the apps you have installed.

OP
G

Geekinthegarden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MikesToolz,

You suggest respringing but should I have to do that every time I restart? Resetting the defaults on Activator works until the restart but then I have to do it again. The problem with that is that my icons are all re-arranged each time. I think there is something strange going on with a resolution reset... Seems like a bug with something. It was NOT doing this before I updated those apps on Thursday.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Yes this is required after each reboot.

I just use SBSettings to respring the springboard. Takes a few seconds.

And i'm talking about a full bower down and on or reboot, not just when you put it to sleep.

Last edited:
OP
G

Geekinthegarden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Mike,

Yeah, the problem only happens after I reboot or full power down which I don't do often and you're right that respring only takes a second but the problem is that all of my icons have, at that point, been completely re-arranged and are spread out over 5 pages rather than 3. Not a huge deal but kind of a hassle because I'd rather not have to scroll through 5 pages when they will fit on 3. What I don't get is that before I updated the apps four days ago I was not seeing this behavior. It is something new and seems like a bug. I guess I was hoping someone would chime in with a confirmation that it is a bug and that there is a fix or that it is at least a known issue with a particular app.

Thanks for your help thus far!

Yes this is required after each reboot.

I just use SBSettings to respring the springboard. Takes a few seconds.

And i'm talking about a full bower down and on or reboot, not just when you put it to sleep.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Yeah i know, my icons get rearanged as well, from when it was in iPod mode and iPod mode doesnt have as many rows/columns.

I just gave up on organizing icons until iOS 4.0 comes to the iPad.

effcee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same issue - to resolve I uninstalled Browser Changer. That seems to have fixed it. (Well actually I removed Browser Changer and SBSettings, then reinstalled SBSettings)

Apparently the previous version of Browser Changer works v7 or something, but haven't yet figured out how to get an old version of an app from Cydia.

OP
G

Geekinthegarden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
effcee, funny that you mention that because the other day I had to restart and everything was fine with my icons. I had no idea what had changed and did not remember till I saw your post that there had been an upgrade to Browser Changer! So, in my case at least the upgrade to the newest version of BC seems to have fixed my issue. I can think of no other upgrade that I've done in recent days. That said, I can't help but think something else was going on to cause my problem because when it popped up last week there had been no change to BC but to several other apps such as Circuitous, Activator, and MyWi. While I'm glad things seem back to normal for my iPad at the moment I would like to know what caused the issue.

Sk1zb1t

iPF Noob
Reaction score
backboard does it for me. makes half my icons in portrait mode not even visible, doesn't put them on a new page, just cuts them off like it's the wrong res. weird.

Kelabyj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kelabyj

I had the same problem after installing belfry removed it and everything went back to normal

Most reactions

Latest posts