What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBooks frustration

DjDuncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried all of that and it didn't work. But you know what did? iBooks 2.1.1 They just updated the app today and now it works! I'm convinced more than ever that it was a bug now. Damn you, Apple, and thank you.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Might have needed re-downloaded, which and update will do. It's usually the last thing recommended, because then you have to reload all the books.

Glad you got it working.

DjDuncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also deleted the app and re-installed it, which led to the re-download of all books from iCloud, and still it wasn't working. Nothing I've tried worked before the 2.1.1 update worked. Well, at least it's solved now.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just checked the last update. It says it squashed some bugs, though it does not specifically mention your problem. It does explain the random Apple ID login dialog I was getting.

So, looks like you were right. There was a bug. :)

bluesman41

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having trouble with iTunes and iBooks. New, up to date iPad (3). I scan a document ( to PDF ) and load it into iTunes for uploading to my iPad.
The first problem is that the iTunes "Info" for the PDF is the same as the info for a music file. None of the fields use names that are appropriate for books, and I can't find a description of how the fields map. For instance, the field offered is "artist", but should be " author". And there are a lot of fields, and the correlations are not always so obvious. I got past this by trial and error - putting values in fields and observing the effect in iBooks. That takes a while!
Along the way I discovered what I consider a bug. When I change a field in iTunes - and sync - the change does not show in iBooks, even though it does show in my iPad Books display in iTunes. In other words, iTunes believes my iPad has been updated appropriately, but iBooks still displays the old information. The only way I've found to fix this is to delete the PDF in iTunes, sync, (that works, the PDF is removed from the iPad), then do it all over again.
That's the main two problems. Thirdly, there is the question of interpreting the iTunes screen. What do the sync icons mean that are next to only some of the books? And what does it mean that some entries in the list of books are grayed out?
Thanks to anyone who can help me with these things.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The only important fields for a book entry are Name, Artist, and Genre. You can also change the sorting order using the Sorting tab to enter the sort by names in a different order (Dickens, Charles) as opposed to (Charles Dickens). The year field can also by useful for tracking versions; though only in iTunes itself.

The necessity to delete and reload PDF books to see the changes is a known bug. I'd hoped it was squashed by now. On the other hand it may not be all that well known to Apple, so it wouldn't hurt to say something if you feel strongly about it.

I'm not sure what you mean by the sync icon or the grayed out entries. On the iPad or on the computer? And in what view/store/mode are they showing up?

Most reactions

Latest posts