What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBooks frustration

sdurf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, what site do you recommend for downloading and reading booms on the ipad2?
I downloaded iBooks but canno figure out how to get books from my favorite authors only the standard ones they have listed.
What am I doing wrong?

mwhartman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you already purchased eBooks or do you want to purchase new ones?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iBooks is primarily for reading books from the iBooks Store, though you can load other ePub and PDF books; if they do not have DRM (Digital Rights Management). Most ebook store books are DRM.

If the books you want are on Amazon, you can download and use the Kindle app to read Kindle books purchased from them. You just download the app and enter your Amazon ID and password. At that point any ebook you've purchased at Amazon will show up in the app ready for download.

The same is true of other eBook retailers. Most have their own apps, so if you find a source with the authors you want, check their site and the App Store to see if they have an iPad app.

odygirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. Bin usin my iPad for a whyl now, but recently updated my iBooks so I cud download ebooks. This was thrillin for me as I cud download books from my fav website, but for some days now iv bin unable to download any books. It just doesn't happen though I can read the books on my browser. Pls help!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
We'll need some more details; like what website you are downloading books from, what format they are in, and exactly what is not happing that used to work.

grandmat03053

iPF Noob
Reaction score
odygirl said:
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. Bin usin my iPad for a whyl now, but recently updated my iBooks so I cud download ebooks. This was thrillin for me as I cud download books from my fav website, but for some days now iv bin unable to download any books. It just doesn't happen though I can read the books on my browser. Pls help!

I've been loading ePub books onto my IPad fine (original version not 2 or3) until the most recent update to IBooks. Now half the books will not load, although they are from the same source with no DRM. What gives?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've been loading ePub books onto my IPad fine (original version not 2 or3) until the most recent update to IBooks. Now half the books will not load, although they are from the same source with no DRM. What gives?

Try one of the other ePub readers, like the Bluefire reader.

grandmat03053

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:

I'll try, but I really want to use IBooks. It is convenient to have all the books in one reader, especially having book series in one reader. Any idea why the sudden problem loading ePub books. I have 200 books loaded with no issue until the most recent update to IBooks. This problem is even occurring with ePub files generated by Calibre as well as ePub files bought from the press.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm afraid they might have made a change in preparation for a new DRM scheme because the old one was cracked.

grandmat03053

iPF Noob
Reaction score
grandmat03053 said:
I'll try, but I really want to use IBooks. It is convenient to have all the books in one reader, especially having book series in one reader. Any idea why the sudden problem loading ePub books. I have 200 books loaded with no issue until the most recent update to IBooks. This problem is even occurring with ePub files generated by Calibre as well as ePub files bought from the press.

Blue fire does load the book. Still, I'd rather use IBooks, if possible. There must be a solution.

grandmat03053

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:

Bluefire does load one of the recently purchased books that will not load into IBooks.

This problem with IBooks is only with loading new books from a press that I've bought from many times. I click on the file on the ePub file and then select IBooks to download to. I'm taken to the open IBook program showing the bookshelves but nothing happens or I can see the cover of the new book for a second then it disappears. I have tried restarting the IPad. It is interesting, though, that Bluefire works. I'm suspicious about the recent update to IBooks and am seeing a few people comment about this type of problem.

grandmat03053

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
I'm afraid they might have made a change in preparation for a new DRM scheme because the old one was cracked.

I've checked with the press when the 8 new books out of 17 didn't load. These are non-DRM files.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't think it's a DRM issue with your books, I think Apple has broken their generic ePub reader as they prepare for their new DRM scheme.

They are under contract with publishers to have an effective DRM model in place. Since that has now been cracked, they need to change it.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not absolutely sure what is going on here, or what the problems might be, but I'll pitch in and see if I can help.

Equipment: Windows PC running Vista and iTunes 10.6.0.40, using Google Chrome as my default browser.
iPod touch running iOs5.1
iPad 2 running iOs5.0.1
iPhone 4 running iOs5.1

All iDevices are wirelessly connected to iTunes.

I just downloaded a random book from Project Gutenberg (Project Gutenberg - free ebooks) for the purposes of this test. I also had some DRM free books already on iTunes.

With iTunes book page open, I selected 5 books and dragged them to the iPod. Making sure the whole iPod tab was selected (not just the Books tab), I dropped the books there, then took a look at the iPod. All 5 books were available in iBooks.

Next I opened the folder containing the book I had just downloaded, which was in .epub format, and dragged it into my library, again allowing the whole library to be selected, not just the books tab. iTunes picked up the metadata from the file, and placed it properly in the "Books" section of the library. I dragged the book from the library to the iPad 2, where it is now available for reading.

As I'm not having any problems getting files where I want them, all I can really add to this is that it doesn't seem to matter which version of iOs you are using. iBooks is right up to date, as are Vista and iTunes. Everything appears to be working properly.

Am I missing something?

Just want to add this. Books from Project Gutenberg are copyright free. No book is ever made available on this site unless it is out of copyright, so although you will not get any new stuff here, you can rest assured that anything you download will be legal, decent and honest.

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just noticed that this thread is not really in the right place. I'm going to move it to the HELP section, where it might get more traffic.

Most reactions

Latest posts