What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IBooks brightness

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Recently used iBooks app again and the brightness controlled the system brightness too, not separate like it had been on previous uses. IPad 2, iOS 5.1.1, iBooks v. 2.1.1.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any fixes?

OP
cruiser111

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Debating deleting the Kindle app for iOS since it may be that it's latest update may have somehow 'spilled over' to the iBooks app. May be worth a try. Better than trying the dreaded reset.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not experiencing what you're describing at all.

The Kindle app and the iBooks app have nothing to do with each other, so no spillover affect is likely.

You know that in iBooks you control brightness in the app by tapping on the aA symbol at upper right? If you find the lowest setting too bright, maybe try night mode.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is certainly not related to any other app "interfering" with iBooks. All apps are sandboxed and cannot effect other apps in the way you are suggesting.

The iBooks brightness slider has, as far as I know. always been linked to the system brightness (on 5.1.1 for sure). It is not independent.
Unless I'm missing something fundamental, I believe you are mistaken in thinking it used to be separated recently...

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is certainly not related to any other app "interfering" with iBooks. All apps are sandboxed and cannot effect other apps in the way you are suggesting.

The iBooks brightness slider has, as far as I know. always been linked to the system brightness. It is not independent.
Unless I'm missing something fundamental, I believe you are mistaken in thinking it used to be separated...

It's tied to system brightness, but dimmer on its own if you adjust, from what I can tell.

Unfortunately, on an unjailbroken iPad, I don't know of any way to adjust by laying down a dimmer screen, like on my Android Samsung Note. When I use that, it lets me dim any app way down. I imagine there's similar with jailbroken iDevices?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's tied to system brightness, but dimmer on its own if you adjust, from what I can tell.

Unfortunately, on an unjailbroken iPad, I don't know of any way to adjust by laying down a dimmer screen, like on my Android Samsung Note. When I use that, it lets me dim any app way down. I imagine there's similar with jailbroken iDevices?

Ahhh, it's the iPad3! (not jailbreak related) The minimum brightness on my iPad3 is very low and as far as I can tell, identical to the lowest system brightness setting versus lowest iBooks setting.
Looking at my iPad1, which I have to hand, there is a difference as you describe. The brightness is still linked, but iBooks definitely has the ability to go a little lower! When you switch back to the home screen the brightness pops up just a little..., then back down when you switch back to iBooks.

Because of the awesome screen, I've used my iPad3 almost exclusively for all reading tasks since I got it. Guess I've become too used to it!

Thanks, I've learned something today! But at least there is a link between system and iBooks brightness levels "up to a point" :D

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ahhh, it's the iPad3! (not jailbreak related) The minimum brightness on my iPad3 is very low and as far as I can tell, identical to the lowest system brightness setting versus lowest iBooks setting.
Looking at my iPad1, which I have to hand, there is a difference as you describe. The brightness is still linked, but iBooks definitely has the ability to go a little lower! When you switch back to the home screen the brightness pops up just a little..., then back down when you switch back to iBooks.

Because of the awesome screen, I've used my iPad3 almost exclusively for all reading tasks since I got it. Guess I've become too used to it!

Thanks, I've learned something today! But at least there is a link between system and iBooks brightness levels "up to a point" :D

Interesting. I learned, too, because I'm still using iPad 1 and 2, and didn't imagine a diff in how the app behaved on iPad 3.

My iPad 1 screen is true white. My iPad 2 has a muddier screen, which I actually prefer, because it essentially gives me a dimmer screen on all but blinding brightness settings.

I also have a reusable screen filter that's supposed to keep other people from seeing my screen (I use on airplanes when writing work stuff), and it's a nice gray tint, but it makes all type grainy, unfortunately. I really wish there was the equivalent of the Android tinted screens for dimness on iOS.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting. I learned, too, because I'm still using iPad 1 and 2, and didn't imagine a diff in how the app behaved on iPad 3.

My iPad 1 screen is true white. My iPad 2 has a muddier screen, which I actually prefer, because it essentially gives me a dimmer screen on all but blinding brightness settings.

I also have a reusable screen filter that's supposed to keep other people from seeing my screen (I use on airplanes when writing work stuff), and it's a nice gray tint, but it makes all type grainy, unfortunately. I really wish there was the equivalent of the Android tinted screens for dimness on iOS.

Not wishing to take this off-topic, but there is an excellent free jailbreak tweak called f.lux which allows you to have full control of the colour temperature of the iPad screen. It has both manual and automatic settings allowing the screen to change temperature during the evening to better suit a home environment using tungsten lighting etc. It works very well and sounds like it might give you that "tint" you want. It's another one of those things I have installed and almost forget about, but once in a while a topic crops up which reminds me how good that little enhancement is...

The iPad3 screen tends to be very high temp "blue / yellow" by default. Knocking the temperature down a few hundred K brings up the red and makes it much more comfortable for late night reading.

PS - I checked, and this tweak, despite being on my devices, has no impact on the previous conversation. It is not the reason I see a difference on my iPad3 (it's on my iPad1 too, but I also tested by disabling on both).

7u6yrera.jpg

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not wishing to take this off-topic, but there is an excellent free jailbreak tweak called f.lux which allows you to have full control of the colour temperature of the iPad screen. It has both manual and automatic settings allowing the screen to change temperature during the evening to better suit a home environment using tungsten lighting etc. It works very well and sounds like it might give you that "tint" you want. It's another one of those things I have installed and almost forget about, but once in a while a topic crops up which reminds me how good that little enhancement is...

The iPad3 screen tends to be very high temp "blue / yellow" by default. Knocking the temperature down a few hundred K brings up the red and makes it much more comfortable for late night reading.

PS - I checked, and this tweak, despite being on my devices, has no impact on the previous conversation. It is not the reason I see a difference on my iPad3 (it's on my iPad1 too, but I also tested by disabling on both).

7u6yrera.jpg

Thanks for mentioning. I figured there'd be something available for jailbreakers. Jailbreaking seems like more trouble than I want to go through, though. I see posts when people get stuck attempting it, or trying to undo it, and figure I'd be one of those poor slobs.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for mentioning. I figured there'd be something available for jailbreakers. Jailbreaking seems like more trouble than I want to go through, though. I see posts when people get stuck attempting it, or trying to undo it, and figure I'd be one of those poor slobs.

Well there is a whole team here to help. You know where we are if you reconsider it, and most of the folks that run into trouble have done so by following old information from other sites, rather than starting off with our excellent resources here :D I would say that though, wouldn't I?

It's not for everyone, but it should normally be trouble free and the 5.1.1 jailbreak is a one-click affair these days. You could always jailbreak, install f.lux from Cydia, then stick Cydia into the "Unused" folder you have, and never touch it again :)

I'm currently writing some tutorials about "jailbreaking for just one feature". f.lux will probably be one of those tutorials, so keep an eye out!

Last edited:
OP
cruiser111

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs. At least the iBooks brightness goes low enough to read comfortably at night, unlike the recently updated @$& Kindle app. The Nook app brightness is independent of the system brightness. Nice reading app.

There's a nice little free app called Dimmer, which can be set to a desired brightness. And it can be added to the Notifications area. Then a simple tap puts the preset brightness back to where you like it when finished reading in iBooks. I have mine set at 35% and using auto-brightness.

(Ain't this just a bright post...)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs. At least the iBooks brightness goes low enough to read comfortably at night, unlike the recently updated @$& Kindle app. The Nook app brightness is independent of the system brightness. Nice reading app.

There's a nice little free app called Dimmer, which can be set to a desired brightness. And it can be added to the Notifications area. Then a simple tap puts the preset brightness back to where you like it when finished reading in iBooks. I have mine set at 35% and using auto-brightness.

(Ain't this just a bright post...)

I use an iOS app called Dimmer, too. If it's the one you use, too, it's controlled by a light switch icon. Unfortunately, it seems to be only a switch to control brightness within native iPad specs and no more. If yours works otherwise, please advise, because I'm very interested.

On Android, I easily found a dimmer app that I love. It lays a tint over your entire device, so that every app is uniformly tinted to your percentage preference, much lower than standard device settings. I think there's no such app equivalent in iOS because of sandboxing, but I could be wrong.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well there is a whole team here to help. You know where we are if you reconsider it, and most of the folks that run into trouble have done so by following old information from other sites, rather than starting off with our excellent resources here :D I would say that though, wouldn't I?

It's not for everyone, but it should normally be trouble free and the 5.1.1 jailbreak is a one-click affair these days. You could always jailbreak, install f.lux from Cydia, then stick Cydia into the "Unused" folder you have, and never touch it again :)

I'm currently writing some tutorials about "jailbreaking for just one feature". f.lux will probably be one of those tutorials, so keep an eye out!

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep a lookout and might dip a toe in.

Most reactions

Latest posts