What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backlight dimming too bright?

Reaction score
Generally the screen is fairly bright, even on the lowest settings. However, I just went to iBooks and noticed that when the iPad brightness is at its min., within iBooks the same brightness level is ~20% and at 0% it is really dim. But when leaving iBooks, the brightness jumps back to its previous level.

Is there are reason for this discrepancy in brightness? Surely Apple isn't trying to make people use iBooks by limiting the brightness of all other apps at a level, which is too high for reading in the darkness.

Stereo flab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Kindle app does the same, so I think it is just the nature of these book reading apps - reading in bed etc.

Regards
Tony

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The app overrides the auto setting, so that you can set it to whatever is comfortable for you while reading. Just tap somewhere in the middle of the page, then select the sun icon to adjust. Amazon's Kindle app and most other book reading apps do the same thing, though the method to change the setting changes.

Any app developer could do this. Besides ebook apps most video playing apps will let you adjust the brightness also. The settings are only active inside the app, and the iPad reverts to it's system settings when the app exits.

Bree31

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Generally the screen is fairly bright, even on the lowest settings. However, I just went to iBooks and noticed that when the iPad brightness is at its min., within iBooks the same brightness level is ~20% and at 0% it is really dim. But when leaving iBooks, the brightness jumps back to its previous level.

Is there are reason for this discrepancy in brightness? Surely Apple isn't trying to make people use iBooks by limiting the brightness of all other apps at a level, which is too high for reading in the darkness.

I think that is what it's suppose to do because it's atomatic

Most reactions

Latest posts