What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBook shelf icon

Marine 47

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded a book to the iBook shelf and after one perusal of the book the icon changed from the book title to a blue blackberry looking device. I cannot read the title of the book on the shelf and cannot determine what I have done. I would like that book to look like all the other books I have placed on the shelf.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Most likely that is the cover, and what you saw before was a temporary cover displayed until it fully downloaded.

However, it is possible to change book covers if your book is synced with iTunes.

Go into iTunes on the computer, find the book, right click on it and choose Get Info. Go to the Artwork tab. Whatever you put here will become the cover. Sometimes the ePub's cover is not stored here, but in my experience this will override other default covers. If there is already a cover, then you will have to remove it first. The ePub file will only hold one piece of cover art.

Look for your book on the internet, copy some cover art and paste it into the Artwork tab.

Now sync your device. The new cover should show up.

Note: I've never tried this with a DRM book, so YMMV.

OP
Marine 47

Marine 47

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried that and it did not work. The book was from the iBook store and I have three other books [all by Chesterton] with the same type of cover and the other two covers did not turn into a translucent blue Blackberry looking device. But thanks for the advice. I am really liking this new device.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Marine 47 said:
Tried that and it did not work. The book was from the iBook store and I have three other books [all by Chesterton] with the same type of cover and the other two covers did not turn into a translucent blue Blackberry looking device. But thanks for the advice. I am really liking this new device.

Is it a free book? If so give me the title and I'll see if I can duplicate the problem.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Marine 47 said:

Gilbert Keith Chesterton?

If so, I downloaded the 'Crimes of England' thought it might be interesting to read :)

Cover is the standard no image but text only cover

If you press the home button and power on/off button at the same time, it will take a screenshot, once you have the screen shot, post it here. With a screenshot, will be easier for others to help.

OP
Marine 47

Marine 47

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Is it a free book? If so give me the title and I'll see if I can duplicate the problem.

"Orthodoxy" is the title. And thanks you are a good forum mate......

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can't duplicate your problem, but, I noticed there were two versions available. As far as I can tell they are identical except for two things. One has some good reviews, the other had none. And the one without reviews has a much lower resolution book cover.

My suggestion is to go back to the bookstore and download whichever over one you don't have. See if it works better.

I searched for Orthodoxy, and got both books as the first and second hit.

Let me know if this works for you.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used to change lots of covers.
Unfortunatly, it seems that there are many ways the ePUB file is structured.
Any way. rename the extension epub with zip.
Open it. you will see a file named cover.jpg.
Replace it with a better picture of the book ( cut from the title in Amazon...)
Zip it again and rename back to epub.
recopy through iTune.

You can make some test using the PC program "Adobe Digital Editions" which reads epub files on a PC

Most reactions

Latest posts