What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'COVERS' for PDF's in IBOOKS

jp91306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will try to ask this so it makes sense:

When I load a PDF (and other documents) into iBooks (usually from Dropbox, but sometimes just from iTunes), the PDF first appears in the shelf with a "cover"...just a plain cover that looks like a book, with a Title.

After the PDF is fully loaded, the cover disappears and the item is presented as a "thumbnail" of the document without a title....

Sooooo....is there a way to retain the way it first looks...a cover with a simple title?

I assume this is the default behavior, and probably most people want it that way...but I would love to have control of it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

jp

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The only way I know of to take control of cover art in iBooks is through iTunes. You would need to add the PDF to iTunes first, copy over your own cover art, then sync the book to the iPad. To assign artwork, right click on the PDF in iTunes and choose Get Info. Go to the Artwork tab and paste what you want there. Or you can drag it into the little album cover art thumbnail that shows at the bottom left of iTunes when the file is selected.

If there is something already there, you'll have to delete it. Books only allow one art file.

This is how I do it anyway, since it also provides a backup of the PDF in case I need to restore it to the iPad later. PDF files copied directly to iBooks on the iPad do not get backed up.

OP
J

jp91306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only way I know of to take control of cover art in iBooks is through iTunes. You would need to add the PDF to iTunes first, copy over your own cover art, then sync the book to the iPad. To assign artwork, right click on the PDF in iTunes and choose Get Info. Go to the Artwork tab and paste what you want there. Or you can drag it into the little album cover art thumbnail that shows at the bottom left of iTunes when the file is selected.

If there is something already there, you'll have to delete it. Books only allow one art file.

This is how I do it anyway, since it also provides a backup of the PDF in case I need to restore it to the iPad later. PDF files copied directly to iBooks on the iPad do not get backed up.

Thanks for that...I sort of suspected that it would require some manipulation of that type to get it to work. I was just hoping there might be a "simple" switch somewhere. I appreciate the reply.

jp

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You're welcome. I wouldn't mind an iPad only solution myself; but iBooks is pretty much just the front end of the iBooks Store, plus a little more for those that need just a little more.

There are quite a few PDF reader/editor/markup apps out there. If you need more dig around a bit. You'll probably find something with a feature set you like more.

Most reactions