What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBook App for Ipad

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't say for sure, but my guess would be yes from looking at the SDK thus far.

The 3GS iPhone ver. 3.1.2(7D11) has it with use of the Accessibility settings set to "voice over".

If I run across it during my next Xcode session with the iPad, I will report back here on possibility or definite solutions. :ipad-case:

Lee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pdf docs

I have about 300 pdf docs I'd like to read on the iPad. Understand it will allow it, BUT what about that neat "touch the page" to turn the page?

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have about 300 pdf docs I'd like to read on the iPad. Understand it will allow it, BUT what about that neat "touch the page" to turn the page?
I'm looking fer iBooks to do that too but I'm afraid that we'll have to contend with whatever software will allow us to view PDFs. It was said that ebooks in iBooks would have to be in the EPUB format. Calibre will transform unlocked PDFs to EPUB.

leroyjenkins93

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pdf docs

I'm looking fer iBooks to do that too but I'm afraid that we'll have to contend with whatever software will allow us to view PDFs. It was said that ebooks in iBooks would have to be in the EPUB format. Calibre will transform unlocked PDFs to EPUB.[/QUOTE

Thanks for that. What about locked pdf docs? Any solution to that? Please assist.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that. What about locked pdf docs? Any solution to that? Please assist.

Locked PDFs will only be possible through Adobe software such Reader or Digital Editions. I have absolutely no idea if they'll port something to the iPad.
Does anyone think the Flash/Html5 clash between Apple and Adobe may have any incidence on Adobe making software for the iPad?

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm wondering whether anyone knows whether the iBook app for the iPad will have anything like "text to speak" like the Amazon Kindle has?
Yes, the iPad can use Voiceover (built in text to speech accessibility feature) to read an ebook. Apple announced this a few weeks ago. Not sure if I could stand listening to a computer generated voice for the duration of a book though ;). If you want to listen to a book, audiobooks are the only way to go. I good reader makes a book a lot more enjoyable.

Source

In addition, the iPad’s VoiceOver screen-reading technology allows you to have any page read aloud to you. A similar feature on Amazon’s Kindle e-reader touched off a feud between the online retailer and the Authors Guild, resulting in an agreement where publishers get to decide on a title-by-title basis whether that feature is available.

rcalhoun31

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Not sure if it works since I don't have my iPad yet but I have several PDFs that I want to be able to use with the iBooks app as well so I found this free, open source converter that is pretty easy to use. It's called Calibre and can be downloaded here:

http://calibre-ebook.com/

But like I said, it is thus far untested. It will convert several different formats (including PDF) into the epub format that iBooks uses. I think all you have to do is place the epub file in the correct directory and sync it to your iPad via iTunes. At least that is what I am hoping for. I read that as long as the file was not protected and in the correct format then you could sync it over. But don't quote me.... ;)

rcalhoun31

Last edited:

gpaisnd

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Not sure if it works since I don't have my iPad yet but I have several PDFs that I want to be able to use with the iBooks app as well so I found this free, open source converter that is pretty easy to use. It's called Calibre and can be downloaded here:

calibre - E-book management

But like I said, it is thus far untested. It will convert several different formats (including PDF) into the epub format that iBooks uses. I think all you have to do is place the epub file in the correct directory and sync it to your iPad via iTunes. At least that is what I am hoping for. I read that as long as the file was not protected and in the correct format then you could sync it over. But don't quote me.... ;)

rcalhoun31
Hi rcalhoun31,

Thanks for the link.

denmiller60

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone else use the search bar in iBooks to type "free" to see all the pages of free Gutenberg (sp?) books? I downloaded to bookshelves of free books yesterday (they don't use much memory). Never thought I'd consider using any kind of e-reader but ...

Lee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best PDF Reader so far...

The GoodReader app at .99

Easy to use, works like a charm.

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If i get it, i might read the books on this app if they are there. Just to make it a bit funner, but ill just look for a movie first.:)

Most reactions

Latest posts