What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to hear from all you 3G ipad owners, has it been worth it?

extendedforecast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dunno. my biggest consideration when I bought the iPad wifi was that 3g is old tech where I am. And since its not upgradeable...I dont want to pay extra money for old tech when I live in a city with a wall to wall 4g LTE network that is less crowded than the 3g one. That and it was for the hubby who previously had an iPod touch and he didn't leave the house with it a lot anyway. My Android tablet is a mobile hotspot so I can hook iPad up to that 3g (its getting 4g radio next month) as long as we're in the same place too.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Markswheels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the iPad 2 32g 3G for my girlfriend as I have an iPhone 4 and she doesn't have a smart phone. Being a bit older, the iPad is much easier on the eyes then a smartphone and if we find that she's not using the 3G much, we can always drop it for now. Can't do that with an iPhone plan.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Diesel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All of us have the wifi/3G models and it's nice. We're bouncing all over Dallas and some places offer free wifi while others don't. Since we have both wifi and 3G everything is good.

PDB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sure it has been worth it...despite the fact I never actually put a SIM card in it!

IvanLasston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used to have a notebook with a built in wireless card and thought it was the best thing ever. Until that wireless card gave out on me twice in a year. The second issue is there was no way to share the internet without a huge rigmarole in network sharing. So I have a Mifi and a Wifi Only iPad. Here are some reasons why
1 - 3G on ALL my devices, notebook, iPhone, iPad
2 - I have the Verizon iPhone and I can call and surf the web at the same time.
3 - Local area network always available so I can use programs like Snatch to control my PC with my iPhone, and VNC to and from various devices.
4 - The Mifi has it's own battery (and I bought a Sedio extended battery so it lasts 10 hours too) - corollary - All my devices last longer.
5 - Upgradeable - the 4G Mifi's are now out - my Mifi contract is up in August - so in August I will have a 4G iPad and iPhone and notebook
6 - Since it is wifi, there is no connect if the network is remembered. So as long as the Mifi is on - the iPad just autoconnects when it needs network.

Secondly - everyone complaining about carrying a Mifi - how do you carry your iPad? I don't have pockets big enough for just an iPad - so I have a small bag - in which my Mifi fits. The Mifi does fit in pockets too if I just want to hand carry the iPad. It's just another device like a phone - if I have space to carry an iPad I have space to carry the Mifi.

Last edited:

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IvanLasston said:

verizon iPhones can talk and surf at the same time? I thought only at&t iPhones could. I am going to buy the new iPhone on verizon when it comes out so I would like to know.

jmbarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both a first Gen iPad and an iPad 2 both with 3G (although not activated anymore on the first Gen). Definitely worth it.

i.mac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 and tether it to my iPhone 4 using the mobile hotspot feature, easy to do and only one 3G plan to pay for, no additional cost from my mobile provider. I can also use Joikuspot on my company mobile and share it's 3G connection. So no I don't recommend 3G iPads, but it depends so much on you phone and contract.

IvanLasston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IvanLasston said:

verizon iPhones can talk and surf at the same time? I thought only at&t iPhones could. I am going to buy the new iPhone on verizon when it comes out so I would like to know.

No - Verizon iPhones cannot talk and surf at the same time. But they can if you have a Mifi -> the Mifi becomes the data connection over wifi, and thus you can continue to talk and surf on a Verizon iPhone if you have a Mifi.

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
I've got permission to buy the 3 next year and I'm definitely having 64gb 3G, so yes, I'm on a roll!

I plan to do the same. My 64gb wifi iPad 1 + FREE Palm Pre hotspot has served me very well -- even during power outages. Upgrading to the iPad 2 after only 1 year to get 3g and a camera didn't make sense for me.

However, unless I fall in love with the tiniest Palm Pre AND the hotspot remains free (I doubt it), I'll want the iPad 3 with 3G. If it comes with removable memory, 32gb will be enough for me.

Viva La Erica

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the the 32GB Wifi + 3G in white last week and have not paid for the data plan yet. I'm sure I will eventually, but for right now I've just been jumping back from home wifi to work wifi and to my family members homes and stealing their wifi. I haven't had a need to jump on 3G since I have my iPhone 4 when out and about.

I think it's worth getting so you have the option at least to jump on 3G when you really want to. For example, I'm not a big traveler but I do like to drive around the bay during the weekends so I would probably end up buying the 3G plan soon.

I barely bought my first app yesterday that cost 99 cents!! I've been a huge cheapo since I got this baby last week, yet it's still really entertaining w/ all the free apps & wifi use.

PatriciaF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 3g and wifi and it's worth it to pay for it. I can't get home wifi working on my iPad so the 3g is great at home.

Most reactions

Latest posts