What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to hear from all you 3G ipad owners, has it been worth it?

rrawb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wanted to upgrade to an iPad 2 and was debating getting just a wifi iPad 2 (i have the 3G original iPad), but after thinking about it, I definitely want 3G on it. It's just so much more convenient. Luckily I'm grandfathered with the $30 unlimited plan.

simontay78

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.SimonVideo.com
Yes, it's worth it.

I used to struggle with those worthless netbooks with 3G USB router...the sim card given to me when I signed a new SingNet broadband connection.

Then comes iPad...with 3G! The minor problem is the sim card is too big...which is easy to solve...simple sim card cutter sold at sim lim or cut by them for a price...is a simple task.

After that, I never looked back.

My friend who uses iPhone to tether the 3G network (Drain iPhone battery) or uses those MYFI hotspot (4 hours battery life) regrets getting the WIFI version of the iPad.

3G is the way to go...the only price to pay is the extra $ for the connection per month. :D

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is anyone using 3G pay as you go?

Just bought my iPad. Had to buy version 1 as version 2 not available for love nor money!
I hook into Internet via my wireless home system. I see no point in paying for a monthly 3G account. I am thinking of using pay and go as I do with my mobile phone. Is Pay and Go viable?

I am loving the iPad. Pics are better than on the iPod and dealing with emails is so much easier than on the iPod

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
akintomide said:
The experience is awesome. With the 3G Prepaid sim one can be in touch with everywhere.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

I agree 100% with the above ....... Using it much more than I thought too :)

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey Folks, I'd like your opinions.

I have an iPad 2 wifi only right now. I didn't get the 3G version because no carrier gets adequate service in my office. I'll be starting my internship soon. They don't have wifi and I'll need internet access. So I bought a no contract t-mobile hotspot. (Works great. I've tested it out already.)

I'm hearing that verizon works well at the internship site. I'm trying to decide if I should sell my ipad 2 wifi for a verizon 3G model.

My hesitation is the versatility & reliabilty of the mobile hotspot. If somethig happens with the hotspot, I return it or change carriers.

If something goes wrong with the iPad 3G I'm stuck. Verizon iPad 2 connectivity hasn't gotten good reviews and if something goes wrong with the unit, all my eggs are in that one $730 basket.

What would you do?

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jasmynsway said:
Hey Folks, I'd like your opinions.

I have an iPad 2 wifi only right now. I didn't get the 3G version because no carrier gets adequate service in my office. I'll be starting my internship soon. They don't have wifi and I'll need internet access. So I bought a no contract t-mobile hotspot. (Works great. I've tested it out already.)

I'm hearing that verizon works well at the internship site. I'm trying to decide if I should sell my ipad 2 wifi for a verizon 3G model.

My hesitation is the versatility & reliabilty of the mobile hotspot. If somethig happens with the hotspot, I return it or change carriers.

If something goes wrong with the iPad 3G I'm stuck. Verizon iPad 2 connectivity hasn't gotten good reviews and if something goes wrong with the unit, all my eggs are in that one $730 basket.

What would you do?

Exactly what you're doing now. Of course the 3G iPad will also work with the hotspot if the Verizon service isn't all that good but you're still out the difference and the hotspot is more versatile as it will work with other wifi devices.

But that's just my take.

Petdr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After finding that I use my first gen iPad much more than I thought I would, I didn't hesitate to get the 3G in my iPad 2. On the road, when visiting my parents, and various other places it's just so much easier to have the 3G. The months when I'm not traveling, then I don't purchase the plan, but I find I'm using it more months than not.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The whole world is not the USA.

Where I live there is no 3G provider. So how smart would you be?

I once mentioned to a sales guy in the States about how a particular currency wasn't doing so well against the US$ and he didn't know that a currency other than the almighty $ existed.

And as someone else already mentioned for those of us who work from home the wifi only version is plenty adequate.

FYI, there are only two currencies in use today: The almighty dollar and iTunes Gift Cards

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the 32g wifi+ 3g. I have not used the 3g. I got a great deal on an unlimited usage mifi thru Verison, so I use that, since I can connect up to 5 devices. So when we travel everyone can connect. I think the 3g should add to the resale value if I decide to sell it at some point. I just like the option of know I have it if I ever need it. My husband had a 3g too, and loves using it when he is traveling and out and about.

I see your point, but the wifi in a lot of places I've been doesn't work very well for some reason on my device, usually kind of slow.

Diesel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iluvmyipad said:
I have the 32g wifi+ 3g. I have not used the 3g. I got a great deal on an unlimited usage mifi thru Verison, so I use that, since I can connect up to 5 devices. So when we travel everyone can connect. I think the 3g should add to the resale value if I decide to sell it at some point. I just like the option of know I have it if I ever need it. My husband had a 3g too, and loves using it when he is traveling and out and about.

I see your point, but the wifi in a lot of places I've been doesn't work very well for some reason on my device, usually kind of slow.

This,

I do a lot of traveling and generally in terms of a big truck. So the 3G comes in handy but I also use the wifi at hotels and some truck stops are starting to offer it as well.

King.Khoja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the 64GB 3G. I definetly think it was worth it. I think not having a 3G is not putting your iPad to its full potential. Since I got it, my iPads gotten even more useful seeing as how I can use the interenet whereever I want.

digitalbits6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got the iPad 16GB WiFi on the first day, but later ordered a 64GB 3G. After traveling with the WiFi only, I really missed using it for Maps, traffic. The 3G does unlock the iPad's full potential as some mentioned. The 3G version has GPS circuitry to allow faster GPS positioning by using the 3G towers. So, if you intend to use it for maps while traveling, the 3G is the better version. After a year, I've used the 3G data plan about half of the time.

I just upgraded to the new iPad2 64GB with 3G on AT&T - so my vote is still to get 3G version.

Most reactions

Latest posts