What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need Java! ( not a cup of coffee)

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I need Java but I need something else first

I am installing a password manager and it needs a bookmarks bar. So I'm trying to add the button (to have it auto-login) to Safari. I follow the steps to bookmark it, edit the URL and save it. But the URL is a JavaScript command line. I look up how to set JavaScript on and uh oh...

It shows a diagram of Safari with File, Bookmarks, Settings, etc in a line across the top. I have five icons on top followed by the URL box. Next to it is the search box.

I am missing the important stuff! How do I get the Settings etc to show in Safari? I set it up in Chrome but there is no bookmarks bar and the password manager needs it for auto-login.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Javascript is not the same as Java (in case you were confused). The iPad supports the first, but not the second.

Inserting javascript into bookmarks is often referred to as bookmarklets. You can do a lot of interesting things with bookmarklets, and many of them will work in Safari on the iPad.

For some instructions on creating a bookmarklet in Safari and a list of some of the more useful ones take a look at this thread: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-faq/72353-guide-creating-safari-bookmarklets.html#post519309

It is not possible to install Java on the iPad. However; some java sites will work in third party Flash capable browsers. This is because the sites are actually run on remote servers, then re-displayed on the iPad. I keep the Puffin browser around for this reason. There is a free (14 day trial) version you can try to see if it will work.

Most reactions

Latest posts