What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need an i-Thingie connecting genius for my big connecting problem/plan. Help me?

SimpleLeigh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, here's the deal. We have 2 first gen iPads, 3 first gen iTouches, and 2 iPhone 3's. So, a lot of old tech that we can't replace/upgrade yet. They all still work the way we need for the most part.

But, we're heading to Florida on Amtrak in January. It's a 24+ hour trip each way. I'll also be taking rather large RAW photos during that two weeks. Probably 1K-2K of them, if history holds true.

I'd love to get some sort of storage option that will let me put media for all 5 of us in one place, and also allow me to offload and manipulate photos. Ideally this would be wireless so that more than one of us can use it at the same time. Otherwise, wired but with multiple ports for multiple folks. I'll have the only net enabled device (3G on my iPad). If I could share internet over that device it would be MASSIVE bonus, but I don't expect that since I've not seen it as a possibilty anywhere.

BIG, HUGE bonus if it doesn't break the bank. I need links, instructions, and for someone to basically hold my hand because I'm a little tech clueless.

Thanks,

~Leigh

dennisparrott

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the quick answer is that you really need a laptop for emptying camera storage cards (SD, CF, etc.). why Apple never wanted to acknowledge this use-case for iOS devices is completely beyond me.

i have been looking for an iPad/iPhone solution for this problem for a while now.

the ONLY thing that comes close is HyperDrive's CloudFTP/iUSBport gadget. what this product does is provide a WiFi connection to your iOS device (like connecting to home WiFi or 3G) and a USB port for connecting to a storage device (hard drive or flash drive). software on the iUSBport allows you to interact with the files on the storage device you plugged in. with it, i can transfer files back and forth between my iPad/iPhone and the iUSBport. up to 3 people can link to it and stream media (movies, music). it has a battery that is supposed to work for 5 hours.

i will tell you that the iUSBport gadget is GENIUS. but trying to transfer photos from the iPad/iPhone is pretty much a _PAINFUL_ process. it takes FOREVER (!!!) to move any real number of pictures.

a recent firmware update to the iUSBport will allow you to plug a USB hub (powered is best) so you can then plug in a camera chip reader and a hard drive. when you plug in the camera chip, iUSBport will ask if you want to copy the camera chip to the hard drive. it works but it is still pretty slow. it took a very long time to copy a partly filled 32GB SD card. BUT IT DID COPY THE CARD...

you can find the iUSBport at hyperdrive.com, it will set you back about $100.

you can also get where you want to go by jailbreaking your iPad. there are youtube videos and various blog articles that show how you can interface a hard drive to your iPad directly (using the camera connection kit connectors) and interact with the files on the drive. i _BELIEVE_ (based on my knowledge of Unix systems and the fact that OS X and iOS have a Unix heritage) that if I can trick it into mounting one hard drive, it should be a short walk to mounting a second storage device (like a camera chip) and then copying the files from the chip to the drive. if you are "tech clueless" this might not be the best approach for you.

you might find the Seagate GoFlex Satellite out there and think that you can use it for this purpose. DO NOT THINK THAT. I URGE YOU NOT TO BUY IT. i bought one. it was a DISASTER. it advertises the ability to stream media to your device (iOS, Android, computer). it will do that BUT don't try to switch from watching a movie to quickly connecting to WiFi to check the news and weather and then resume your movie. the product totally failed to let me do that. worse, i could never get the product to reset itself when i did that so that i could get back in. i had to let the battery power drain and then recharge it! that junk went back to best buy!

unfortunately, apple did not allow for the idea that someone might want to off-load their cameras to anything OTHER than their iPad! i know that the iPad does not have the power to drive a "pocket" hard drive and that (i am sure) is part of their reasoning but IF they had allowed that possibility i am more than certain that other vendors would have come out with hard drives that could be powered independent of the iPad for people to use.

Talk2USoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps my answer is too simplistic BUT if you can get your devices on the same WI-FI network, there's an app that moves hundreds of photos/videos at a time called PhotoTransfer. You open the app on your iPhone or iPad and select the media you want to move THEN you are directed to an address to type in, on the receiving device (another iPhone, iPad or PC & prolly Mac too, but I'm not certain about that). When you open the page of the address you were directed to, VIOLA! all the photos & videos you chose on your device are there for the downloading. iCloud probably renders this method as antiquated, but I still choose to do it this way.

Most reactions

Latest posts