What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Review of RavPower FileHub 2

srender

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased the Rav FileHub so that I could download movies to watch while on a long plane trip. Did not want them stored on my ipad. I was told this was possible. But I have spent hours on this and can not get my downloaded videos to move to the filehub. I can move my personal photos and personal videos. I have tried downloading via amazon prime, Vudo, itunes, etc. But when I look at "my device" there are no purchased videos. This is crazy. I have spent hours and dollars on these videos and can't get them onto the Rav FileHub. Can you tell me how do you get movies to go from ipad to filehub. Where do you download from and how do you do it. Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I purchased the Rav FileHub so that I could download movies to watch while on a long plane trip. Did not want them stored on my ipad. I was told this was possible. But I have spent hours on this and can not get my downloaded videos to move to the filehub. I can move my personal photos and personal videos. I have tried downloading via amazon prime, Vudo, itunes, etc. But when I look at "my device" there are no purchased videos. This is crazy. I have spent hours and dollars on these videos and can't get them onto the Rav FileHub. Can you tell me how do you get movies to go from ipad to filehub. Where do you download from and how do you do it.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) As a previous poster to this thread, I own the FileHub - if you are purchasing movies from iTunes, then Apple's DRM policies will likely prohibit you from loading these films onto the SD card in the hub - see this THREAD for some more recent frustrations w/ Apple's policy. Dave

srender

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The reason I bought this is because I was assured that I could download movies and store on the sd card. I had 3 people on Amazon tell me that. I don't care where I get movies- just please tell me how to get a movie from internet to SD so I can watch later.

It seemed too good to be true. Ready to return it.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The reason I bought this is because I was assured that I could download movies and store on the sd card. I had 3 people on Amazon tell me that. I don't care where I get movies- just please tell me how to get a movie from internet to SD so I can watch later.

Well, not sure if you looked at the DRM references in the link that I provided? But movies that you've made yourself and those w/o any copyright protection can be put on the SD card and viewed using the FileHub+; however, commercial movies w/ DRM copy protection will simply not be transferred whether bought online from a source such as iTunes or as a potential rip from a DVD you own - basically, it is against the law in the USA, and the reason for the annoying FBI announcement at the beginning of the DVDs/BDs that I own.

Now, if you want to google 'removal of DRM movie copyright', there will be plenty of hits as to ways to illegally strip these protected films from their copyright constraints - I am against this practice and this forum will not support these efforts, i.e. you're on your own - sorry. Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Most of those movies that you can download over the internet from various sites are pirated copies of movies under copyright protection. If you want to download movies to your iPad I suggest you do it from sites that offer them legally, such as iTunes and Amazon.

srender

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wasn't intending anything illegal- as I said - I had paid for them on Amazon and iTunes. Just thought I could save them on a SD card instead of taking up space on my iPad. I asked on Amazon before I bought if I could do that and 2 different people told me I could. I guess they must be doing it illegally because they are not responding to my current situation. Thank you. I will be returning it as I have no other need for it.

srender

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, not sure if you looked at the DRM references in the link that I provided? But movies that you've made yourself and those w/o any copyright protection can be put on the SD card and viewed using the FileHub+; however, commercial movies w/ DRM copy protection will simply not be transferred whether bought online from a source such as iTunes or as a potential rip from a DVD you own - basically, it is against the law in the USA, and the reason for the annoying FBI announcement at the beginning of the DVDs/BDs that I own.

Now, if you want to google 'removal of DRM movie copyright', there will be plenty of hits as to ways to illegally strip these protected films from their copyright constraints - I am against this practice and this forum will not support these efforts, i.e. you're on your own - sorry. Dave :)

srender

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wasn't intending anything illegal- as I said - I had paid for them on Amazon and iTunes. Just thought I could save them on a SD card instead of taking up space on my iPad. I asked on Amazon before I bought if I could do that and 2 different people told me I could. I guess they must be doing it illegally because they are not responding to my current situation. Thank you. I will be returning it as I have no other need for it.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi again Srender - no implication concerning your intent above at all - shown below is just one FAQ from the RavPower website about running iTunes movies on the FileHub+, i.e. does not work (Source). Again, the issue is DRM which would need to be 'stripped' to transfer the media to another location (HD, SD card, etc.) - there are certainly a number of ways, e.g. google 'removal DRM from iTunes movies', BUT USA law states that removing DRM copyright protection is potentially punishable by fine and/or prison - some discussion HERE - the whole area remains confusing in my mind. I own over 700 DVDs/BDs, virtually all w/ the FBI warning on opening - I've not ripped the DRM protection off any of these discs, so this becomes a personal decision. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 10.07.07 AM.png

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts