What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I love my Ipad 3 but...

TracySC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have so much to learn - I'e only had it 4 days - don't you love birthdays!

A couple of questions I thought I would ask.

When plugged into my computer via the white cable that is supplied with the Ipad it doesn't charge - (my iPhone does charge using this)- do I have a faulty cable or is this standard? I can however, plug it directly into the wall and it does charge ok, but annoying that appears to be the only way I am able to charge.

Also, I have added the Adobe app - I want to transfer PDF files from my Ipad library to my computer - I know where to find the app (bottom of page) but when I click add there is nothing there - do I have to 'add double' ie. if the files are already in my library do I have to 'add to Adobe under documents' before being able to transfer them to my computer? (I'm hoping not) - can I quickly add from library directly to my computer? (I hope this question makes sense).

Thankyou all..

D

Deleted member 247820

Hi Tracy.

My iPad behaves the same way when charging.
It just charges from the power socket.
Seems strange.

zunex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I first plugged in the iPad 2 into my computer it didn't charge too. I still couldn't understand why but anyway I found the solution for it. Just install this software and your iPad will be charged when connecting to your computer: Download ASUS Ai Charger 1.00.09 Free - Quickly charge your iPad, iPhone or iPod - Softpedia
Sorry that I can't help with Adobe app issue. I mostly use Dropbox to sync my PDFs, and I prefer PDF Max free than Adobe Reader, since I found AR renders files very slowly.

Last edited:

BocataDeChoped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad takes a lot of power to charge, a regular 2.0 USB won't provide it. Maybe 3.0 USB will but I've never had the chance to check it out.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad needs a charger to provides 5V and 2.1A (i.e, it needs a 10Watt charger). You can't get this from a standard usb port. The battery in the iPad 3 is way larger in capacity than that of an iPhone, so if you were to charge it on a computer USB port it would take forever (and this forever is much, much longer than the forever it takes to charge the iPad 3 with the charger it came with). Actually, a usb port will charge the iPad 3, but very, very slowly. Best to use the 10W charger it came with.

Also, beware of that software linked in post #3. It causes all kind of problems on my PC, and I have a recently model Asus motherboard.

j joy j

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am not familiar with Adobe app at all but I use Dropbox and GoodReader to transfer all my docs between my iPad and PC. Another one is DocsToGo.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have so much to learn - I'e only had it 4 days - don't you love birthdays!

A couple of questions I thought I would ask.

When plugged into my computer via the white cable that is supplied with the Ipad it doesn't charge - (my iPhone does charge using this)- do I have a faulty cable or is this standard? I can however, plug it directly into the wall and it does charge ok, but annoying that appears to be the only way I am able to charge.

Also, I have added the Adobe app - I want to transfer PDF files from my Ipad library to my computer - I know where to find the app (bottom of page) but when I click add there is nothing there - do I have to 'add double' ie. if the files are already in my library do I have to 'add to Adobe under documents' before being able to transfer them to my computer? (I'm hoping not) - can I quickly add from library directly to my computer? (I hope this question makes sense).
Thankyou all..

G'day Tracy. A computer via the connection cable to your computer's USB port simply does not supply enough power to charge up your iPad. You get the "not charging" message but there is nothing wrong with the connection cable. The standard way is to connect to a wall plug. I agree, can be a nuisance. If the lead is too short an extension lead can be used.

There are several solutions to transferring PDF files to your PC including syncing via iTunes the use of which I don't much like.. I think a neat way is to download to your iPad and PC a good cloud- based app like DropBox (or SkyDrive which I use - works the same but gives you 7 Gigs of free storage instead of DropBox's 2 Gigs.) Another way is to simply email the PDF file to yourself and shove it around your PC 'S file system as you wish.
Regards, Andrew
EDITED: Gosh you've got to be quick on these buttons! Some very good people got ahead of me while typing ( I'm a very slow typer) Trust you'll be OK Now

Last edited:

BocataDeChoped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most doc/PDF managers provide an easier way to transfer files back and forth to your computer (usually through a http/webdav/FTP built-in server) rather than syncing over DropBox. If you want to transfer files through USB I suggest you to ditch iTunes and go for iFunBox or iExplorer. They are free and way off more simple, intuitive and user friendly thant iTunes.

OP
T

TracySC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thankyou everyone for your replies - lots of 'food for thought there'...
Ok so I can't charge up via the computer - GRRR annoying.
I will look into the suggestions you have made re transferring of files- thankyou..

OP
T

TracySC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, thankyou for this I am always wary about downloding software from the net, sorry to hear you had problems AQ_OC hope you've managed to fix it now..

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I first plugged in the iPad 2 into my computer it didn't charge too. I still couldn't understand why but anyway I found the solution for it. Just install this software and your iPad will be charged when connecting to your computer: ASUS Ai Charger - Quick charge your iPod, iPhone and even iPad!

Sorry that I can't help with Adobe app issue. I mostly use Dropbox to sync my PDFs, and I prefer PDF Max free than Adobe Reader, since I found AR renders files very slowly.

I don't know about long term use with this app. Batteries are a strange chemistry things and you should stay between the lines to get the most out your IPAD Battery. I had an old HP laptop charger which I used on my newer HP and it killed the battery in six months! I mean dead, no charge at all. After some research I found that laptop charger come in all sorts of amperage and charging voltages.

I have the same Not Charging issue. on my windows laptop. But work fine on my new Macbook with USB 3. I have also discover that off brand charging cables will do the same thing. There is a reason why the apple chargers are thicker. My2C.

theTimo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know about long term use with this app. Batteries are a strange chemistry things and you should stay between the lines to get the most out your IPAD Battery. I had an old HP laptop charger which I used on my newer HP and it killed the battery in six months! I mean dead, no charge at all. After some research I found that laptop charger come in all sorts of amperage and charging voltages.

I have the same Not Charging issue. on my windows laptop. But work fine on my new Macbook with USB 3. I have also discover that off brand charging cables will do the same thing. There is a reason why the apple chargers are thicker. My2C.
It's really up to the pc's motherboard, if the iPad charges or not. And of course, if the usb port is older than v2, it's no cigar.

There are some good replacement cables. Belkin's ones are good, for example.

But one basic rule for everyone when charging any battery is not to have the device to heat up too much.

Tenb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do not know about you, but I iPad from the PC will not charge, but simply hold a charge.

Most reactions

Latest posts