What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not charging when plugging on the computer

catheejack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys!
So I have this problem that bugs me so much. When I plug my iPad on the computer or in the car, it doesn't charge. It only charges when I plug it in the wall. I was wondering if any of you had this problem and if yes, what did you do to fix it?

Thanks!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is happening here is that your computer (and probably your car charger) is not supplying enough power.....however, it is actually charging, it's just charging slower or trickle charging. The best way to demonstrate this is to check the percentage charge of your battery then turn your iPad off completely, plug it into your computer for, say, one hour, then turn it on again. Your battery percentage should have gone up.

The Archangel

OP
catheejack

catheejack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
What is happening here is that your computer (and probably your car charger) is not supplying enough power.....however, it is actually charging, it's just charging slower or trickle charging. The best way to demonstrate this is to check the percentage charge of your battery then turn your iPad off completely, plug it into your computer for, say, one hour, then turn it on again. Your battery percentage should have gone up.

The Archangel

Yeah that's what I thought before but it actually says on my iPad next to the little battery "not charging" and my friend said that her iPad charges when she plugs it on the computer. Thanks!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
catheejack said:
Yeah that's what I thought before but it actually says on my iPad next to the little battery "not charging" and my friend said that her iPad charges when she plugs it on the computer. Thanks!

Mine says not charging to but it definitely is.....what is displayed on the iPad screen is dependant on the amount of charge the battery is getting. Some USB ports do supply all the power that an iPad needs in which case the iPad screen will say iPad charging.

The Archangel

OP
catheejack

catheejack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Mine says not charging to but it definitely is.....what is displayed on the iPad screen is dependant on the amount of charge the battery is getting. Some USB ports do supply all the power that an iPad needs in which case the iPad screen will say iPad charging.

The Archangel

Oh thank you! I thought there was something wrong with it.

Tyler Noll

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have trouble even getting my ipad 3 to charge with the genuine wall charger and genuine apple lead that came with it. I think either the charging port, or several new leads I have bought all wear out faster than an octogenarian runner. Not good, a magnetic port like the macbook has would have been great. Too late to recall them now, or is it, it is a real problem, for many many users, they are out there and in use in great numbers?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tyler Noll said:
I have trouble even getting my ipad 3 to charge with the genuine wall charger and genuine apple lead that came with it. I think either the charging port, or several new leads I have bought all wear out faster than an octogenarian runner. Not good, a magnetic port like the macbook has would have been great. Too late to recall them now, or is it, it is a real problem, for many many users, they are out there and in use in great numbers?

If the dock connector on your iPad is defective, it is covered under warranty. Have you considered making a Genius Bar appointment at the nearest Apple store? If you do go, make sure to back up your iPad before you go. If they swap out your iPad, you can use the backup to set up the replacement iPad.

Tyler Noll

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the dock connector on your iPad is defective, it is covered under warranty. Have you considered making a Genius Bar appointment at the nearest Apple store? If you do go, make sure to back up your iPad before you go. If they swap out your iPad, you can use the backup to set up the replacement iPad.

I thought about it. My wife has asked the local people, but they level of genius displayed was somewhat lacking, maybe their genius had a day off that day. I'm not the sort of person to whinge and then not do something about a problem so I will definitely pursue this one to the end.

prachanda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
catheejack said:
Hey guys!
So I have this problem that bugs me so much. When I plug my iPad on the computer or in the car, it doesn't charge. It only charges when I plug it in the wall. I was wondering if any of you had this problem and if yes, what did you do to fix it?

Thanks!

I too have the Same Problem. It Takes around One Hour to Charge 10% .... Ridiculous....

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
prachanda said:
I too have the Same Problem. It Takes around One Hour to Charge 10% .... Ridiculous....

The problem is not with the iPad, but with the USB port not being able to supply enough power to charge the iPad at the proper rate. Even though the iPad says it's not charging, it will slowly trickle charge if put to sleep or turned off. For best results you have to use the supplied charger, plugged into a wall socket.

jyotparkash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am also facing same problem but i ffound asus a1 charge software for pc i installed and works great i love to have. Charging from my pc now

Most reactions

Latest posts