What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"I just cant justify the cost...ipad 2 is too expensive!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewBeeIpader2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thermoplyae said:
For those of you that missed the rapture today, you cannot take the money with you. Might as well spend it on fun toys. You never know when the real end will come. 2012 on the release date of iPad 3? You never know. Buy now.

Can't wait to get my hands on an Ipad3 - after giving my grand my Ipad2 it will justify - PopPop wanting a new toy. (LOL)

Reaction score
As long as it's before August 2012 that the 3 releases it should be fine but the next batch of "experts" says that's the next "end of the world " time

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

NewBeeIpader2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KJSmitty said:
Many have touched on it above. It all comes down to justifying the purchase - and believe it or not, many times its regardless of cost.
Sure, for near all of us there is bound to be something we deem unaffordable. And for many, spending $500-$900 on something like the iPad vise rent, the mortgage, clothes and/or groceries is not in the cards, regardless if they could really utilize it or not. That's what is better known as priorities. :)

For me it's clothes. I'm one of those that obviously likes to look great yet despises the cost of near everything I like..... :)
Like many with something like the iPad, I'm appalled at $50+ shirts and jeans let alone much more for work/dress clothes, yet have no issue dropping thousands to tens of thousands on electronics in the home.

Myself, I commend those that stick to their budgets, priorities and savings to resist the urge to have the latest and greatest gadget.

Ipad: Have or don't have, like or don't like, can justify or can't,,,, it's all good folks.

Cheers

Walked in a take out dinner today, a lady steps in behind me and places her pocketbook on the counter; being male it was just a pocketbook... She and the waitress strike up a conversation about the pocketbook, that I surmised she wanted to show off especially after telling her it costed $1200.00. She said it was a Lue'E - Va Taunt (lol @ spelling)... Looked like an oversize pocketbook worth no more than fifty bucks (if that) to me... I wasn't in the conversation but wanted to ask if it came with an imbedded find my Lue'E - GPS chip via my Ipad2 GPS App or a free Ipad2. I guess it dose all boil down to how much one is willing to pay for what ever makes Ya! Feel Good about life.

Diesel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NewBeeIpader2 said:
Walked in a take out dinner today, a lady steps in behind me and places her pocketbook on the counter; being male it was just a pocketbook... She and the waitress strike up a conversation about the pocketbook, that I surmised she wanted to show off especially after telling her it costed $1200.00. She said it was a Lue'E - Va Taunt (lol @ spelling)... Looked like an oversize pocketbook worth no more than fifty bucks (if that) to me... I wasn't in the conversation but wanted to ask if it came with an imbedded find my Lue'E - GPS chip via my Ipad2 GPS App or a free Ipad2. I guess it dose all boil down to how much one is willing to pay for what ever makes Ya! Feel Good about life.

My wife is going to see if they make a Louis Vuitton iPad cover tomorrow lol She is big on LV stuff, has a LV cat carrier, hat box, suit case etc...even bought us all LV passport covers lol

NewBeeIpader2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Diesel said:
My wife is going to see if they make a Louis Vuitton iPad cover tomorrow lol She is big on LV stuff, has a LV cat carrier, hat box, suit case etc...even bought us all LV passport covers lol

Too Funny... (lmao)

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
madhatter61 said:
Maybe you don' need these extras ... but please don't suggest iPad2 is not an upgrade.

It's kind of like the entire justification discussion. An upgrade to one person isn't always a significant upgrade for another. Personally I don't like the thinner shell - doesn't feel as substantial. The lighter weight didn't interest me that much either.
Faster - yes, FaceTime yes - those are good upgrades. But to many (even the professional critics), not so much.
Now, throw in a 2 or better mp camera, 4G and a screen like the iPhone 4 and maintain the 10hr battery and keep the same price point... Well, let's just hope that's iPad3.

So yes, iPad2 was an upgrade over iPad yet for many, just not a worthy or "upgrade justifiable" difference/purchase. But that's a completely different discussion... :)

Cheers

NewBeeIpader2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KJSmitty said:
It's kind of like the entire justification discussion. An upgrade to one person isn't always a significant upgrade for another. Personally I don't like the thinner shell - doesn't feel as substantial. The lighter weight didn't interest me that much either.
Faster - yes, FaceTime yes - those are good upgrades. But to many (even the professional critics), not so much.
Now, throw in a 2 or better mp camera, 4G and a screen like the iPhone 4 and maintain the 10hr battery and keep the same price point... Well, let's just hope that's iPad3.

So yes, iPad2 was an upgrade over iPad yet for many, just not a worthy or "upgrade justifiable" difference/purchase. But that's a completely different discussion... :)

Cheers

Being all new to IPad2 technology, first time owning an Ipad2... given all I can do and do do, I'd upgrade in a heartbeat were I of the first generation IPad. Then again it really is to each his own.

DQ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tapmyapple said:
Anyone get this a lot? I took my ipad 2 to a dinner function last night that had about 1000 people in attendance. I was definitely checking out if anyone was rocking a tablet. To my surprise, I was the only one there with a tablet! In fact I didnt even see a single person with even a laptop or netbook.

Heres the general rundown of how the speech went with just about everyone I talked to or saw my ipad, including when I brought it to the dinner table.

Them: "Is that an ipad?!"
Me: "Why yes it is....why do you have one too?"
Them: "How do you like it?.....no I just cant justify the price, its too expensive for what you get."
Me: "Well believe it or not, I felt the same way too before getting one...but once you have one and use it in your everyday life, you will find its worth."
Them: "But I have a laptop already and a smartphone so thats good enough...plus dont need another thing to carry around with me everyday."
Them: "If it was $200 or $300 id consider it but not at $500+."
Me: "Fair enough"

I use mine for work and can write it off. But I would have gotten one even if I couldn't!

iDevice.mobi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tapmyapple said:
Anyone get this a lot? I took my ipad 2 to a dinner function last night that had about 1000 people in attendance. I was definitely checking out if anyone was rocking a tablet. To my surprise, I was the only one there with a tablet! In fact I didnt even see a single person with even a laptop or netbook.

Heres the general rundown of how the speech went with just about everyone I talked to or saw my ipad, including when I brought it to the dinner table.

Them: "How do you like it?.....no I just cant justify the price, its too expensive for what you get."
Me: "Well believe it or not, I felt the same way too before getting one...but once you have one and use it in your everyday life, you will find its worth."
Them: "But I have a laptop already and a smartphone so thats good enough...plus dont need another thing to carry around with me everyday."

Doesn't make any sense. People will always have different opinions and always be willing to pay lesser than whats it actually is.

Many people have Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 all together. Most of the time both system have same games.How will you justify that?

Few people have views that powerful laptop is good enough, Desktop is not required but I require a desktop too because my needs are different. I have a huge obsession for movies,HD movie editing and also I run SAP ERP on it.

iPad 2 has become one of the fastest selling gadgets of all time, so you think millions of people who bought iPad didn't have any justification ?I have iPad and iPad 2 both with iMac ,MacBook pro, iPod touch and iPhone 4.

My iPad 1 is full of baby apps,educational apps, Disney movies,cartoon because I play with my 1 year on it. On iPad 2 ,I do all my study and official work using app like iWork ,GOODREADER. I also download stuff from Internet directly on iPad just like computer. After creating document,purchasing eticket, season pass, I get them printed directly off the iPad.

Video editing in HD and then uploading to various site is fast and simple on iPad and I must say if you are not into high end editing, iPad is way better than a laptop for simple and fast editing.

Creating a document using Pages then uploading to various WebDAV servers from iPad is much faster and simpler than laptop. iPad can finish the job before laptop finishes booting. And if laptop is happen to be PC then I can finish quarter of my daily routine work while PC will still be booting and displaying the message, do you want PC to start in "Safe Mode"

Laptops have PDF reader but iPad has the best, it allows me to write on PDF by finger and then save them or get them printed out with my finger drawing on PDF. I can even type on PDF file with finger drawing which makes my job pretty simple.

iPad runs for whooping 15 hours on one charge and its instant on. By the time laptop users finish booting process, I am done with work on iPad. I also have Sprint 4G Hotspot overdrive so I am on super fast 4G Internet all the time.

NewBeeIpader2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ColemanLee09 said:
All I gotta say man is you gotta pay to play.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF.

I agree witcha Lee... And further venture to say there's a far bigger dividend's payday for all Ipadders some day. Case in point Today... I'm an old man (kicking 60) ... Can but didn't have to get out of bed this morning and walk the six feet to my desktop computer, merely rolled over picked up my IPad (thankful it's not a heavy laptop I have to first up right then flip open then prop my self up)... Rolling back over to my comfort position turning my IPad on it too conforms (on it's own) to my position... (anxious to learn what has happened in the world while I was sleeping) I'm thinking check bank account first since yesterday May 21st was rumored to be the last day - thought someone might left me their life savings - wasn't the case... Oh well after I'm entertained here for a bit with you "ipf" guys I'll read email, local paper, maybe shop for a new Father's Day hat, or check in on the grand kids in North Carolina and drop the hint PopPop wants a new hat... Hearing their voices seeing their smiles via my Ipad2 cam in real time brightens up my day... My Ipad2 is everything to me... Being older I keep a firm two hand grip on it Lee - but consequently it's made me lazy - now instead of standing I sit Lee just to be - continuously in touch. (LOL)

NewBeeIpader2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
clydeclyde said:
1st post, long time lurker . . .

The iPad2 has been ordered, and my friends' responses are all: "Why do you need that?" even from the ones that are Apple-addicted like me.

But, I'm from the BBS, pre-internet computer-nerd generation, and the gadgetry being developed and that is accessible to the average consumer is nothing less than amazing . . . stuff that was only hinted at in sci-fi literature of the late 70's and early 80's. Carrying around a computer in your pocket is so convenient and life-style-altering; younger users take it for granted. Having a touch-screen gadget that'll fit into a file-folder is the next logical extension in technology.

My response to "....needing that?" is that I've been waiting for an integration of services and functions for a long time. Having audio, visual, financial, security, educational, productivity, etc., etc., all accessible and controllable through one "gadget" . . . yeah, that's worth $800 all day long and twice on Sunday.

WELL SAID! (Thoughts of a serious thinking mind)

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tapmyapple said:

I have two desk top computers one cam and two digital cameras... I thought I wanted a (heavy) laptop to be more mobile, until Ipad2. I took my new Ipad2 to my social club (it was a hands on - BIG! HIT!) where prior I would take my digital camera (displaying the pictures or video I took then and there on it's tiny screen) I collected email promising to email the pictures (after downloading to my desk top). Now I only need my Ipad2 to do all the above and a lot more... Like show in real time video (relative work) of interior rental properties or worthy events as they are happening. (LOL)
Apart from individual preferences and desire for the latest toy, what you say here gets closer to explainable reasons for getting an iPad. Before I bought mine, I would visit various forums and read how people were actually using their iPads, and what made it different from using a laptop or smartphone or desktop.

And, as in the example of a couple of other posts here, I was surprised at how the instant start and long battery life of the iPad increased my productivity. Instead of waiting for my PC to boot up, I am already off and running.

Again, whether someone else would find these things good value for the money is up to individual preference, I think it is useful to be able to note how the iPad makes a difference in your daily activities.

And, oh yeah, i also agree that it is just plain cool to fire up the iPad on a Sunday morning and check out the news without having to get out of bed and go over to the laptop or desktop.

RNkitKat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thermoplyae said:
For those of you that missed the rapture today, you cannot take the money with you. Might as well spend it on fun toys. You never know when the real end will come. 2012 on the release date of iPad 3? You never know. Buy now.

+1 :)

MikeVB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My IPad is worth many times over what I paid. It's simply the most amazing single tangible item I have purchased in my 50+ years (and believe me, I've stimulated the economy quite a bit in my life...) and I consider myself lucky to have been afforded the opportunity to have been exposed to and actually possess such stellar technology before I leave this Earth. My only regret is that it would be stupendously superfluous to purchase a second or third Ipad, but I almost want to just the same.

I hope Apple becomes the richest business in the world, because they really deserve it with this product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts