What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

all right people i have a question for you that was asked of me today

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok fist off it not let put on the tinfoil along with the men in the white coats are comeing to take me away today .

about 7 months ago i wrote to a online newmagazine that deals in what if think tank articles that the magazine does.for the national defense and the politcs of the world arena .they had put a article on the website about the russian-k-missle container system and socalled people who would use them ..the letter was in reresponse to the russian k-missle system that design to be hidden inside a standard container system and fired with very simple to use operations system for set up and guidance useage againest a larger country ...it i did this reresponse in a private email to the person who wrote the online magazine article ..

he emailed me back and would i like to come to a open meeting of a board that they have and would i like to talk to the group of this people about what i had written in the email to him,,at first i thought it was a joke and someone was pulling my leg and the second email i got it had a phone number to call and it was a real live person on the other end of the phone and they asked if would like to come to a open meeting of group of people who do think tank work in the area i had bought up ...

for they where meeting today and i would i like to come and be part of the group that was meeting today and discussion what i had written in the private email to the gentlemen who had wrote the article .. for i layed out how and where i would use the system in a attack ... ..

i enjoyed this morning meeting but it was stange to sit there and debate if it could be done or not could be done in this day and age of high tech electronics survillance of the world with people who do this type of work for liveing ....for at the start of the meeting i was sitting very quietly in my chair and praying that i would not be called to speak or answer any question for i was thinking how stupid do you think are there henry this people do this for a liveing and you open your mouth and put you foot into it .. ..then the gentlemen who i wrote the email said you blasted me putting good there sir .i told him i thought that you would never read the emails and get a reresponse back from you ..the rest of the group did that little chuckle that people do and one of the older gentlemen said tell us how and where you chose the areas ..it started from there with me drawing on the board with a maker unit and showing them the reasons and thoughts behind of how and where to do it .. ..so you do not have something to say and he also said to me your sitting there beening very quiet ..he came up dureing a break and asked me if iam ok and it allways a little nerve racking the first time in front of the group ..he told i was doing good and just relax we do not feed you to the lions on the first round of meetings.. he chuckled and walked away ..

something that was said made me think long and hard today on the drive back to the office and sit down and write this post about transferring files without a computer unit to a ipad if it had survived the nightmare to another ipad that was had not been corrupted by event ...

for it was asked about how do you work with a infrastucture that is down to a point where it military and goverment communications system are the only one up and running and how do you fit a civilian type electronics device into the network for the getting the info out to the public use a basic electronic device to let them know help is on the way . ..

part two of the post

so let me lay out the basic question that was asked how could you use the ipad in this scenario ..

1-all communications infrastucture along with everything as we know it is completely gone there is no more working telephone or cell-phone-or-sat phone-or- cable tv or internet services to fresh water to stewage to everything inbetween is gone.. the whole system is down and no longer running and it will not be up and running for a while.think of it as a total worst case nightmare scenario and it not going to get better for a while

2-you have info on a ipad that been damage along with it has power and you needs to transfered to a protected ipad from the old ipad without a comupter system to act as a basic system for you..plus how do you keep the ipad running without the updates from the itunes store etc etc ..

a-i know that they make what is called faraday emp proof laptop bags to protect the laptops from emp stikes or other electrical things that can harm a laptop harddrive or power system ..

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, you don't need the iTunes updates to run an iPad, they're a sort of voluntary miantenance; it'll run fine forever, you just have to live with the bugs other users got fixed.

As for your scenario, if you've got a working iPad, you've got a charger to power up the dead, damaged one. You could then set up a point-to-point wifi network between the two to transfer data, or simply disassemble the dead one and install the flash drive in the good one.

The scenario is very unlikely, imo - despite its popularity, there are tons more PC than iPads or Macs; something that would wipe out all the PC would get all of them as well.

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i did bring that up along with a whole lot things that was left unsaid in the post about computers surviveing and it was said yes your right in one area but could be wrong in another area as it was put to me that morning .. ..

but it was eye opener for me in a one area of thinking about disaster mgn useing the ipad as part of the gear .as a rural volunteer first responder it made me think about how and where to handle disaster mgn of the a responder groug to have a checklist of the items and personal basic info on a ipad along with maps of the area plus anything else i could think of to help with the disaster ....

as part of the group that helped with the Rodero and Chediski fires there i allways was thinking if we could had better maps of the terrain.. we could been a little bit fast to getting head of the fire as it worked it way down the land ..

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The scenario is very unlikely, imo - despite its popularity, there are tons more PC than iPads or Macs; something that would wipe out all the PC would get all of them as well.

if you ever get a chance to go to one of these meetings go it was and is a eye opener in some of the areas of a person life..since you live in one of the citys in our country that would be a target because of the size and other things that best left unsaid ..

but as you said the scenario is very unlikely but the future is not as allways bright as we hope it to be at times..for it seams that conversion of this caliber is not aways forth comeing with the people at times..

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you want to feel really paranoid, read One Second After. It is a book about these EMP scenarios.

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have read the book and it a good book on the subect :D..as part of the dicsussion that was based on was a limited event where the areas where knocked out and how and where you could do some limited computer basic skills ..some of the things where talked about was a light outs moment and how it would be handle ..as you know i allways have a been a big fan of the Swiss people over how they think that the whole world is not right and try to make sure that if the event does happen how to take care of it citizen of the country with it basic building system that you have there..

since i had told the group my plan and how i would do it along with makeing sure my gear was safe and protected at the time when it did happen ..it got me to thinking about long term use after a event for use of the basic items in life....

Last edited:
OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want to feel really paranoid, read One Second After. It is a book about these EMP scenarios.

to me a lot of people have there head in the sand alot when it comes to thinking about the facts how far the bad guys are willing to go to do something to the good guys of the world..

as i explain to someone in the discussion group how fast you can set up and launch a k-missle system from start to finsh is only about 5 mins time frame for it been proven with a a untrained crew how set up and launch the unit in a small window gap of 5 to 7 mins time frame to have the socalled personal to hold and secured the area for that time frame to be able to launch a emp type system on the board ..after that it will not matter a whole lot after that ..

George Knighton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...how far the bad guys are willing to go to do something to the good guys of the world.

Unfortunately, we are trapped.

Remember the Roma saying, "Beware the curse of a desperate man."

There are a lot of truly desperate people in the world, and we cannot do what needs to be done to make them less our enemies, at least not without levelling the world so much that we reduce our own peoples to close to the desperate plights of these desperate men.

There are insurmountable, huge economic and political differences between major groups on this planet, and we have exposed all of them to what life should be at a time that we are unable to bring this life to them.

If the people were willing to make the sacrifice, we could extinguish the tinderboxes of the world...but we are not willing to openly pay the price, preferring instead to take the risk, playing the odds that it just won't happen.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a widely discussed topic among amateur radio operators. There are many on the fringes of the hobby who have "boat anchor" gear that uses discrete components and vacuum tubes (or "valves" for you Brits!) because they are thought to be more immune to EMP than solid state devices.

Personally, if an event such as this truly is TEOTWAWKI (Google that if you don't know what it means!), I am not really going to worry about my iPad!

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i know what it means ..but it was more of a thought how to use a ipad as part of the disaster electronic items if something did happen and you had some working items to help in the recovery effort ..

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to your scenario, if there is no Internet or any way to connect an iPad to the outside world, why would I need it other than to perhaps use it as a bartering tool to trade for something I can really use like food, shelter or ammunition?

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to your scenario, if there is no Internet or any way to connect an iPad to the outside world, why would I need it other than to perhaps use it as a bartering tool to trade for something I can really use like food, shelter or ammunition?

there was a comments about a limited stike and how bad would it be ..plus since my days from the military i have allways worryed more about a limited emp stike than a full bore exchange between the superpowers.. north korea scares the liveing --- out of me in a lot of areas for they are like the outher groups out as a wild card groups in the world....

but the whole thing was on the way back to the house i was thinking about how could you use a ipad in disaster electronics program along with what type of application could you design for takeing down people names and address and othe info and beening able to get out to the love ones outside the areas that was effected in the disaster..

so the whole how do you do the electronics transfer of info between on ipad and another ..

i think someone needs to make a patch cord and small set up with a way to store the info like a passport small protable harddrive that you can tap into as need with the keyboard set up to be able to pacth the usb passport unit into the keyboard and useing a patch cord between the keyboard and the ipad unit letting the protable hard drive acts as the mini computer system to allow a smooth transfer of data from one unit to another unit ..

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What you need, in addition to a solar power supply with enough juice to charge an iPad, is a radio interface. Again, without an Internet connection, the iPad is pretty worthless as a survival tool. When the traditional forms of communication are out of commission, you need al alternate method of getting in touch with the outside world.

I have been an amateur radio operator (a "ham") for 18 years. There are digital modes of communication widely used in amateur radio that allow you to communicate around the globe on relatively low power. Of course these require a computer and this is where something like a netbook would come in handy since the software and hardware to interface between the computer and radio already exists. Although there are no equivalent iPad apps for this software at this time, the weight and size of the iPad would make it a good candidate for the job.

And of course, one would not be limited to digital modes since one can communicate by voice and there are even some of us "old timers" who still use Morse code!

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally, if an event such as this truly is TEOTWAWKI (Google that if you don't know what it means!), I am not really going to worry about my iPad!

Exactly, I am more likely to be worried about food and how to obtain a gun. Not to mention post radiation treatment. But of course there are those people who built bunkers, have canned food supplies for decades and own enough guns to supply an army. In such case this is a legimate question.

Most reactions

Latest posts