What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air Glass

jim dandy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a new iPad Air and his is my first Apple product which I am looking forward to using, but before I do I need to ask a few questions and hopefully get the answers to them.

Years back computer CRT monitors had a protective coating on the outside of the tube which can be damaged by strong cleaners especially ones with ammonia in them over time.

I have questioned whether it is necessary to put on a good quality screen protector on this new iPad? Some say the Gorilla glass is very strong and will not scratch from just fingers touching the screen. Keys and metal objects maybe yes. That all may be true but I am concerned that the iPad glass screen may be coated with a protective coating of some sort.

I would rather not use a glass protective film as they cut down a little on the robust color and intensity of the display plus they cut down the sensitivity of the touch screen function. I have read Apple store will not carry these protective films?

So here is my question:

Is the outer glass surface of an iPad Air bare glass or does it have a coating on the outside of some kind?

Thanks all.............

Last edited:

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am not sure, but I think its bare glass.

For me though, I mever had problems with using a protective screen. You can barely notice the difference EXCEPT it will be very smooth and easy to swipe and won't be affected by those oil that get stuck on your screen for some time.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad Air's display has a fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is an oleophobic coating on the surface of the iPad screen. It's designed to help repel skin oil from your fingers, reducing the appearance of smudges. Cleaning your iPad screen the wrong way can damage this coating.

Here are Apple's cleaning instructions for it's products. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3226#ipads

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't use a screen protector on my iPad Air, I just clean the screen with a spectacle cleaning cloth, If i do decide to put one on i would go for the Tech Armor, I have one on my phone and they are excellent.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I had my iPad 1 I never bothered with a screen protector. I had the thing for over 3 years without any problems. Because of this, I have no plans to get a protector for my Air.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do t have one on my Air and don't plan to add one. This screen is easy to keep clean with a soft, lint free cloth. Just wipe it down daily and don't let the yucky stuff build up. Works out fine. Plus, installing screen protectors is a great opportunity to watch your blood pressure spike. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts