What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Html5

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone took the time to give it a test? I have enabled html5 on Youtube, but I think the Youtube app stays embedded, regardless.

Last edited:

brobar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I kinda have to give it a look now if I want my sites to be iDevice compatible. I don't like the fact that I have to develop sites TWICE in the meantime until there is universal browser support and wide acceptance of those updated browsers though.

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad should support everything that the webkit browsers support (ie, Safari) for the most part.

thewiirocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I kinda have to give it a look now if I want my sites to be iDevice compatible. I don't like the fact that I have to develop sites TWICE in the meantime until there is universal browser support and wide acceptance of those updated browsers though.

If you're doing it right, you should only need to develop once. Flash supports H.264 files as of version 9. Apple (iPad, iPhone & Mac OS X) and Google both support H.264 in the <video> tag. That means that all you need is something like this*:

HTML:
<video src="myfile.mp4">
  <!-- fallback content -->
  <object src="myplayer.swf?file=myfile.mp4"></object>
</video>

That should work for just about all situations. If you want to natively support video tag in FireFox and Opera (rather than flash), just do another transcoding to OGG/Vorbis and add the ogg file as an alternative format in the video tag.

* I've simplified the tags for readability. You'll need to look up the exact syntax for it to work correctly. Make sure you're looking at the most recent HTML5 specs as it changed a few times before being finalized.

Most reactions