What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How will u really improve the next iPad ( not fantasy)

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not trying to get some fantasy answers like what we all dream from next iPad like no bezel or what ever.but the
Realistic developments for next iPad
I was thinking about whether to choose ipad2 or 3 for my mother .and then this thought came to my mind.how can u possibly improve the next ipad or has it reached a plateau phase like the macs and pcs ?

The display is done ...can u really improve that for next...IMO no.
And possibly a quad core processor. But the present one runs so smooth even with infinity blade which is one of the heaviest games available.so for sake of improving a quad core will be there.
Camera?anymore than this on a tablet is a waste .really.

The only change they can make is a change in design .that will be nice.
And a significant change that can be made is opening up the iOS without force feeding iTunes but we all know that will never happen.
I guess the iPad has reached a plateau phase and only slight incremental upgrades like in macs and pcs will be available in each new versions.no drastic jaw dropping changes .atleast I don't expect that.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's definitely in plateau phase, IMO. They can add updates to the OS, faster processor, wireless charging, 3D for movies, better speakers, even ports (which they won't do). I would like to see a faster than usb transfer method (thunderbolt), too..but none of these are big features, IMO. Frankly, I dont think they need to mess with the design of the device at all...that would be a big mistake. I guess, though, that I would like to see the same retina screen in the iPad as is in the iPhone 4/4S. In terms of readibility, the iPhone 4/4S still has the superior screen (but this likely won't happen either since they need to make a 4X increase to maintain compatibilty with older software - and that would be way more than is needed in terms of resolution). But evenso, none of these changes are big.

The plateau has arrived for the tablet market and we can expect only incremental improvements....which, frankly, is not such a bad thing. Since the product is now mature, it makes sense to start adopting it has a platform for use in schools for kids....you don't want to have wide adoption in device catagories that are changng radically from year to year. You need something stable so you can plan long term usage.

Yes, I think it is very likely that I will not feel compelled to get a 2013 iPad...we'll see. If I can get 70% of what I paid for mine, I might still upgrade. Wireless charging and thunderbolt would still be useful. :)

Silly me...I forgot to add the 128 GB option. I will definitely be getting that in 2013.

dawz2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I guess, though, that I would like to see the same retina screen in the iPad as is in the iPhone 4/4S. In terms of readibility, the iPhone 4/4S still has the superior screen (but this likely won't happen either since they need to make a 4X increase to maintain compatibilty with older software - and that would be way more than is needed in terms of resolution).

I am confused by this section of your post. Is the new iPad not considered "retina"? The new iPad screen is just as crystal clear as my iPhone 4. I don't think my eyes could tell a difference if they did add another 4x the pixels.

Sent from my fairly fuzzy iPad 2.

Rends

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I Don't think it already reached the Plateau.

There some more stuff that couldn't be improved in the future.

Let's Start with Siri that works with all Apps.
Next Batterie that can Run the iPad for a week.
No Glass Screen that won't Break if your iPad falls down.

But i guess the most improvements will be seen on IOS and Apps.
The developers made Touch screen Apps for just a few years. There are so many Things that can make using the iPad eaasier and faster we don't know yet.

Slimseven

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't feel modifications such as a screen with no bezel is at all fantasy. Like the best tv's out now, apple needs styling like this on ipad. All screen edge to edge is impossible or out of the question.? It's the kind of mod that can separate iPad from the rest again. Dont wait for Samsung to add that to the long list of features that their Note has on the ipad already. The new ipad features are cool but not mind blowing. They are a must if it wants to keep the " king of ipads " title. iPad approaches it's era in which it will be riding its rep and history more than the innovation and excitement we are used to. Think about a new iPad launching a year from now, will it offer rumored ,incremental mods or stylish, mind blowing changes? I'm not sure anymore . We hear " mind blowing " but we see things used on other products already. Great features ,yes but nothing that can keep iPad out in front once the Steve Jobs effect has worn off which is close. Quad core , real quad core ,faster chips, Longer batt life maybe even more screen improvements are all on their list wright now . They have their schedule of release into 2014 set IMO. Cook says he will blow our minds... Steve Jobs just did it. It's time to turn the corner on the iPad otherwise we can keep buying these similar, gradually modified tablets that are already behind in the features race. TV's have gone frameless and they are so much more effective at persuading customers to buy the new thing on the market. That's just one feature iPad needs next. Slide out keyboard is another one. The Apple quality and polish i see remaining if not increasing but Things like i mentioned are a must along with os technology.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
dawz2 said:
I am confused by this section of your post. Is the new iPad not considered "retina"? The new iPad screen is just as crystal clear as my iPhone 4. I don't think my eyes could tell a difference if they did add another 4x the pixels.

Sent from my fairly fuzzy iPad 2.

It is considered retina...but it is 264 ppi where as the iPhone 4/4s is like 324 ppi or something like that.....it would be really expensive to have that resolution on iPad plus it would mess up their scaling scheme. And yes, 4x the pixels we have now would be more than is needed, so this won't be happening....and neither will the 324 ppi screen. But that is ok by me.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Slimseven said:
I don't feel modifications such as a screen with no bezel is at all fantasy. Like the best tv's out now, apple needs styling like this on ipad. All screen edge to edge is impossible or out of the question.? It's the kind of mod that can separate iPad from the rest again. Dont wait for Samsung to add that to the long list of features that their Note has on the ipad already. The new ipad features are cool but not mind blowing. They are a must if it wants to keep the " king of ipads " title. iPad approaches it's era in which it will be riding its rep and history more than the innovation and excitement we are used to. Think about a new iPad launching a year from now, will it offer rumored ,incremental mods or stylish, mind blowing changes? I'm not sure anymore . We hear " mind blowing " but we see things used on other products already. Great features ,yes but nothing that can keep iPad out in front once the Steve Jobs effect has worn off which is close. Quad core , real quad core ,faster chips, Longer batt life maybe even more screen improvements are all on their list wright now . They have their schedule of release into 2014 set IMO. Cook says he will blow our minds... Steve Jobs just did it. It's time to turn the corner on the iPad otherwise we can keep buying these similar, gradually modified tablets that are already behind in the features race. TV's have gone frameless and they are so much more effective at persuading customers to buy the new thing on the market. That's just one feature iPad needs next. Slide out keyboard is another one. The Apple quality and polish i see remaining if not increasing but Things like i mentioned are a must along with os technology.

I would not buy an iPad with no bezel. How are you supposed to hold that? An iPad is not a tv....you don't need to hold a tv. We need that bezel.

Also, this notion that we need mind blowing new features is a little bit crazy....we need useful features....usually that is rather boring.that is why I see all else that needs and could be done as rather incremental, and why we have come to the plateau.

exile

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quadcore processor paired with the existing quadcore GPU on an a15 architecture. Speakers would be a plus. Other than that.. I think it would be perfect in "what I would expect" I think the screen is nice as is. That's just me though

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The thing I would like to see is that they get the IGZO or equal screen made bug free. Keep the existing body, but with IGZO, same resolution, and same battery, it should go 24 hours on a charge. They should also be developing an all-in-one 4G chip that uses much less power. Then you can get any cell company without needing a dedicated model. There are also a new thinner, lighter, gorilla glass that may have some benefits.

Many of the new changes may be incremental, but they could also be in negotiated revisions of usage. There is no strong reason that the iPad cannot be used with a headset for voice communication. If Apple could get the carriers to allow voice and Facetime, it would be a good move.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll tell you what would get me to upgrade from the iPad3.
- OLED display at the new iPad resolution - would cut power usage and produce better contrast/daytime readability.
- Less screen power usage means smaller battery - half the weight hopefully.
- processor speed - more cores not likely needed - as there is only so much you can do with cores in a single tasking environment.
- the iPhone 4s camera on back and front.
- thunderbolt connection
- 128/256 GB of flash - though this would have to be very cost effective.

Here is what I would not buy.
- bezel-less screen - I have a difficult enough time holding it as it is. However, if you reduce the size of the tablet then a bezel-less screen may work if you can hold it in one hand in portrait mode. I do this with my 7" android tablet - which makes it easy to hold.
- Thinner is not going to mean much either - I don't need thinner than iPad3 but weight reduction would go a long way.
- G5 data - there are no good plans to cover data usage in north america - and in Canada it's total crap.
- Siri on a tablet - why?
- more resolution - would be pointless for human eyes.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Of course there are tons of software improvements that I can think of, but those would apply equally to iPad3 so did not mention.

xGary

iPF Noob
Reaction score
True multitasking, side to side apps, stereo speakers, ports, drag and drop, file manager, widgets, faster processor + graphics, facetime over 3g, gorilla glass, gps, siri.

Bezelless screen would be beneficial for times where you are not holding it, and when you have to hold it there could always be some feature to disable touch for certain portions of the screen.

Last edited:

retexan599

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to have voice cell phone service on my iPad. Most of the time I have my cell phone on speaker mode anyway. One less device to carry around and manage.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts