What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO - Use Secure Shell (SSH) with the iPad

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Psunate77 said:
i am trying this now, my /root username and password i dont know

Everyone's default user name and password is:

root / alpine

FrenchTV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
whats curious is who has access to the itunes back ups on the net since apple logged data in the past, do developers have access, certain apple people? its interesting to know since privacy does not exist on the net or telecommunications, who knows if the factories in the east even put a chip to track or shut our systems down

jaomadn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why openssh for ipad has a maximum of password character to 8. Its useless to set more than 8 since it only takes the 8 character and remaining is garbage. This for root and mobile.

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does SSH server on iPad turn off or get suspended, a few moments after the device goes into standby, or should it work indefinitely (until you disable it manually, that is)? I had a few cases when WinSCP session was somehow frozen or halted, but I'm not sure whether it was because of iPad's sleep mode activities (with gradual disabling of some services), or some other problems on my WinSCP / computer side.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The SSH services does not get stopped in sleep mode. The tweak comes with an SBSettings toggle which you can use to turn the service on or off, but if it is set to on it will remain that way.

Depending on what device you have and the setup in your home, it could be the wifi signal dropping after 45 seconds of going into sleep mode? Wifi does not stay up and running all the time in sleep mode under certain circumstances and configurations. Is yours a 3G device with cellular signal?

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No, it was on LAN, just wifi, on the router that doesn't have any sleep actions engaged (i.e. it's on always). I'll give it another shot -- I think it was in one of the directories with long list of filenames.
Other than that, I use "Toggle SSH" app for turning sshd on and off. I'll check SBSettings, though.

EDIT:
Captain's log, supplemental.

It appears the sshd does stop working a few minutes after iPad turns itself off. I didn't really check the timing, but WinSCP reported that the connection was closed.

The log is e.g.:
Waiting for data timed out, asking user what to do.
Asking user:
Host is not communicating for 15 seconds.
Wait for another 15 seconds? ()
Data has arrived, closing query to user.
Network error: Software caused connection abort
(ESshFatal) Network error: Software caused connection abort
Error changing directory to '.....'.

After I chose to reconnect, it would just wait (or eventually time-out); and a second or two after pressing the Home button to turn the iPad on again, the connection would be established again.

(I now use SBSettings toggle, and I've uninstalled "Toggle SSH" app.)

Last edited:

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Depending on what device you have and the setup in your home, it could be the wifi signal dropping after 45 seconds of going into sleep mode? Wifi does not stay up and running all the time in sleep mode under certain circumstances and configurations.
So this would actually mean that a few moments after iPad goes to sleep, router eventually closes its connections? (However, there can be notification beeps for new events/news/messages/etc. received during sleep mode, so this doesn't make sense to me.)
(It's on a dd-wrt router, btw.)

Most reactions

Latest posts