What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

root password

ipad2_2600

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I wonted to ask you if you could give an advice in an issue I am facing with my ipad's ios.

I was in vacation for a wile and I forgot my root password. Luckily I had ifile installed and I accessed the /etc/master.password file. The problem is that the after generating the has for the new password and modifying the master.passwd, I still do not have access to the ipad via ssh for the root account. After modifying the password I restarted the openssh daemon and also reinstalled it, but I have the same behavior, also rebooted the device

I thought that while still having access to the password file I could copy the mobile user hashed password to root and this way gaining access to the root account via ssh. I seems that it was a bad idea because, now, even ifile is not starting. Good thing is that I can use mobile's password to gain access via ssh to the device but now I am stuck and I am afraid that I would have to mount the write the backup that I made some time ago and install everything again...

Is there a way I could somehow access the root account, some application? now many applications that use root are not working at all.. (btw, I am not trying to do any scam or to do harm to anybody, this is my personal device)

Thank you in advance.

Most reactions

Latest posts