What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Use BTstack GPS to add GPS to a Jailbroken Wi-Fi iPad

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
GPS.JPG

TUAW has a feature today all about how to get GPS on your jailbroken Wi-Fi iPad, using a new application, BTstackGPS, which provides integrated core location for Bluetooth-enabled devices that don’t have onboard GPS.

The app costs $5 from the Cydia store and comes from the same developer who created BTstack , which enabled iPhone OS units to interact with external Bluetooth devices such as keyboards.

To use BTstackGPS in your jailbroken iPad, you first have to disable the iPad’s proprietary Bluetooth via Settings. TUAW then walk you through how to complete the set-up. Apparently, once it’s up and running, you can also use official Apple utilities such as TrailGuru and RunKeeper to track your location in exactly the same way as if you were using a regular GPS-enabled iPad or iPhone. TUAW say that they put BTstack GPS through its paces while out driving today, and got very good results from using TrailGuru, leading them to conclude that BTstack GPS is a viable solution for owners of jailbroken Wi-Fi iPads who want to add GPS to their current system.

By Maura Sutton, iPadForums.net
Source: TUAW.com

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh ok, it's to connect a bt gps unit to the device, that makes more sense.

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kind of vague in some areas, like does the BT GPS function with the native Google Maps app?

One of the first things I tried when I got my WiFi only iPad, was to pair a BT GPS to it for mapping and direction. Obviously it wouldn't work, so its nice to see this option now for those who wish to JB the iPad.

I also have the 3G version, so I will stick to GPS on it for now.

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kind of vague in some areas, like does the BT GPS function with the native Google Maps app?

One of the first things I tried when I got my WiFi only iPad, was to pair a BT GPS to it for mapping and direction. Obviously it wouldn't work, so its nice to see this option now for those who wish to JB the iPad.

I also have the 3G version, so I will stick to GPS on it for now.

First of all - the 3G has it's own GPS-chip inside, the Wifi doesn't - this is a guide, how to get GPS capability to a Wifi-iPad.

The BT-function on the iPad is - as usual - very limited. Apple needs to write more drivers or better to say, a way better BT-stack for the iPad.

With a jailbroken iPad you can get a 3rd party BT-stack for iPad, which supports Mouse, Keyboard, GPS-Mouse and more.

I wonder, if the TomTom-GPS-Cradle for iPhone would work with the iPad. The issue with this device is, that it requires a physical connection to the 30-pin-connector. I will get myself a 30-Pin-extension cable and will play a bit around with the stuff.

Keep you posted.

RudydG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kin
I wonder, if the TomTom-GPS-Cradle for iPhone would work with the iPad. The issue with this device is, that it requires a physical connection to the 30-pin-connector. I will get myself a 30-Pin-extension cable and will play a bit around with the stuff.

Keep you posted.
No ipad wifi + tomtom carkit does noet work, i tried, (it goes in without extra cable), but the ipad does not "find" the tomtom carkit.
And this BTstack GPS driver is also not functional with tomtom or navigon.
It does work with maps and the supplied map program. And limited with Sygic mobile maps, but it is slow, it is lagging behind, and you have to disable wifi to get it working on the road ;-)
I already sent a mail tot the author of the program, asking if there is a solution to get it working with Tomtom or Navigon. It is ofcourse V 1.0, and only just released for the Ipad?

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wow , one of my post about Jailbroken app’s be deleted by Max :( …

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, one of my post he delete about you coming down on s**t spammer yesterday, but I actually think he don't single me out because he wiped the whole topic of the board. But it turned out to be 'thank god' for you because me was upset and all over your statement you made to the spammer posting the handbrake copycat....

Me don't see any difference between that vendor you say bad things about yesterday and you as a supporting vender here on this forum. Like yesterday, spammer vender made a post for video copy product, that you labeled s**t. Well I just point out that I see a lot of your spam posts showing your products, and I being a polite person' I refrain from saying some off your stuff you post is s**it too. I think you be careful with your statements because you as a supporting vender and has posted many of your products to try sell here (spaming) and then you say bad things to other people doing same thing you. That make you look hypocritical

I just bring this up thinking you had bad yesterday and you not realize mistake you make. When I do bad mistakes like this I always apologize to the other guy and maybe the board.

Also - IMO all new merchandise postings should go into the merchandise/accessories thread and no where else. And I think we should allow some tolerance allowing spammers to promote their products. I'm hopping you understand and we continue to be IPad friends here.

tommyarmour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need some help, I jailbroke my ipad wifi version. I downloaded btstack from cydia, I have a tom-tom one xl and a Nexus One that I have been trying to connect to for gps signal, I downloaded the paid version of MotionX GPS drive from the apple market. I cannot seem to get a valid gps signal from either device. If there is anyone that has time to walk me through getting this running, I would be really happy.

RudydG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need some help, I jailbroke my ipad wifi version. I downloaded btstack from cydia, I have a tom-tom one xl and a Nexus One that I have been trying to connect to for gps signal, I downloaded the paid version of MotionX GPS drive from the apple market. I cannot seem to get a valid gps signal from either device. If there is anyone that has time to walk me through getting this running, I would be really happy.
It will never work with the devices you have. What you need is a Bleutooth compatible gps reciever / transmitter, like Holux devices.

tommyarmour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will never work with the devices you have. What you need is a Bleutooth compatible gps reciever / transmitter, like Holux devices.

So another words the people selling btstack and advertising that you can get gps on your wifi ipad should put in the description only Holux devices are compatible, or at least list the few that are compatible.

I have perfectly normal gps capable devices that work flawlessly, I just liked the large screen of the ipad, and was considering buying a quality car mount, then syncing to any of my android devices, or my tom tom navigation. So of course seeing btstack then paying 5 dollars for the app, then 3 bucks for the navigation app. Then finding out I need to purchase another device just to make this cydia app work. UHG FU*(&%^*:mad::(:confused::eek:

tommyarmour

iPF Noob
Reaction score

What does this mean. I will put the link to where I read this on my next post. Forum rules.
Improved compatibility - e.g, TomTom is compatible now. What is that telling me.

Gvr4n

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tom Tom dock with iPad

Kin

Keep you posted.
No ipad wifi + tomtom carkit does noet work, i tried, (it goes in without extra cable), but the ipad does not "find" the tomtom carkit.
And this BTstack GPS driver is also not functional with tomtom or navigon.
It does work with maps and the supplied map program. And limited with Sygic mobile maps, but it is slow, it is lagging behind, and you have to disable wifi to get it working on the road ;-).
I already sent a mail tot the author of the program, asking if there is a solution to get it working with Tomtom or Navigon. It is ofcourse V 1.0, and
only just released for the Ipad?

It works great

You need to rock the pivot back, take a zip tie and tie the dock on as if the phone is locked in. Then the 30 pin adaptor cable works perfectly but you end up with cables everywhere. You will have your audio out 3.5 mm to your accessory port of your stereo your 30 pin to the dock and then a charging cable from the dock to 12volt. By the way Navigon is by far the best Nav app and it's the only optimized app that I have found.

Gvr4n

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad wifi gps

So another words the people selling btstack and advertising that you can get gps on your wifi ipad should put in the description only Holux devices are compatible, or at least list the few that are compatible.

I have perfectly normal gps capable devices that work flawlessly, I just liked

the large screen of the ipad, and was considering buying a quality car mount,
then syncing to any of my android devices, or my tom tom navigation. So of
course seeing btstack then paying 5 dollars for the app, then 3 bucks for the
navigation app. Then finding out I need to purchase another device just to
make this cydia app work. UHG FU*(&%^*:mad::(:confused::eek:

I have the igps and the TomTom dock they both work. With the TomTom dock you don't need additional apps to make it work just a 30 pin male / female and a zip tie. With the igps360 you need the gps serial app from Cydia. These blow any GPS out of the water not to mention you never pay a zillion bucks for map updates and no connecting to computer for updates. So a few bucks here or there is nothing once you get all you need it's great. Then pay the 20 bucks for MyWi 4.0 from Cydia for your iphone and now your Navigon google
search is functional Safari, Bing for iPad as well as email... SWEEET! The only thing that bothers me is having my iPad on display in my vehicle! All someone needs to do is follow you until you stop then mug you. I took my setup on vacation and was afraid to use it in LA and Vegas. If someone is watching you you can't stash it in the vehicle and you don't want to carry it around!!

Most reactions

Latest posts