What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to use an external mic and external headphones at the same time?

lluvaas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm new to the iPad Air2 having graduated up from the original iPad. I'm composing sound on my new iPad and purchased a lavaliere mic (Miracle Sound) which arrived yesterday. I have headphones that are needed to hear what I'm recording on my iPad. So, my question is how to have both the mic and the headphones attached at the same time? I can't find this info online. Thanks to anyone who can help!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What you probably want is an audio Y splitter. Most only split the audio, but there are some that also split the microphone. Besides the text description (which should include the word microphone somewhere) look for four conductors on the tip of the jack instead of the three you see on headsets that do not have a mic.

I took a quick look at you mic on Amazon, and not too surprisingly the "Often bought together" showed one of these splitters.

image.png

OP
L

lluvaas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What you probably want is an audio Y splitter. Most only split the audio, but there are some that also split the microphone. Besides the text description (which should include the word microphone somewhere) look for four conductors on the tip of the jack instead of the three you see on headsets that do not have a mic.

I took a quick look at you mic on Amazon, and not too surprisingly the "Often bought together" showed one of these splitters.

View attachment 70032
Thanks for this info, but I don't see where you're saying: frequently bought together….it isn't there.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for this info, but I don't see where you're saying: frequently bought together….it isn't there.

Well, if you looked for the adapter/splitter shown by TP previously (found on Amazon), below is the usual of what customers may have combined in their purchase - on the image shown (connected red arrow shows your microphone, I believe) is the reason 'bought together' mentioned.

NOW, you really need to read the reviews on Amazon for this splitter and determine if quality sound input (via the microphone) and good stereo output can be achieved - I'm not convinced but have NO experience in attempting this combination, sorry. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 9.03.01 PM.png

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
"Frequently Bought Together" vs " Often Bought Together"

Well, I was close. :oops:

I keep an eye on that sectiion when researching on Amazon. It often shows me the 'other' part of the purchase I wanted. Especially when buying books that turn out to be part of a series or collection, and more often than not gives you a little saving for getting both. (which is only really saving you money if you wanted both to begin with).

I'm not sure if the Amazon Store app shows this section. I almost always use the destop site, even when on the iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts